Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x8"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 6, 2004.

1. I was looking at a classifies area around here and someone has a custom made 4x8" cab, carvin PS-8's and a 6" tweeter :eyebrow: .....at a rather cheap price too $350-$400 aus....considering i was about to buy a hartke Transporter 210 for $500...would ya use a 4x8" by itself, D.I.'d to a pa of course...and eventually get a 15" OR 18" cab to go with it...should i get it?..keep in mind im desperate for a cab at the moment...since my 15" laney cab kinda imploded..i just asked him for pics..so if i get any ill post here

2. Try the cabinet out, if possible. I don't have experience with carvin 8" woofers but I know that they use the "rock bottom" Eminence quality. A few years back I had an older Ampeg SVT 4x8 cab and it handled the low B well for small gigs even as a stand alone.

:bassist:

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes try it out. I have the Ampeg 4x8 and was originally planning to use it as the top of a biamp rig. Now I use it for rehearsal by itself and it sounds very good, even on the B. That said, I am looking to sell it because I should be using my combo for rehearsals.

4. Johndog;

Friend of mine in FL is looking for a 4x8. Email me and I'll forward him your message: JSCHRO7376@MSN.COM
    Also, let me know what price you have in mind.

thanks

Jorg

5. Heath;
    If they're 16 ohms each, the 4x8 cabinet should have an impedance of 4 ohm. But don't think that you'll have an 800 Watts RMS cabinet. As you've mentioned correctly, Carvin uses those eminence in the Cyclops combo, which I've tried out a few years ago. Along with the 15" woofer it sounds decent but I doubt that it will provide enough power as a stand alone. So, if you can try it out.

Good luck

Jorg

6. well i hope it doesnt require that much power...i only have a 150w@4ohm head :p , peavey mark 3

7. I am almost certain that it will perform fine with your peavey head.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no experience here with the carvin drivers but i really like the swr 4x8 cab
    small, plenty of cutting mids, not nearly the bottom end of the the 8x8, (but sometimes that's a good thing)