Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leanne, Sep 1, 2002.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Due to portability issues, i'm considering buying a 4x8 cab. Does anyone have any experience using a 4x8 as a stand alone cab? Thanks for your help.
    :D

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry I'm not helping out, leanne, but - have you tried an "all-8's" cab?

I have one cab I'm trying to sell that's 2x8 + 1-15. Without the 15, it would be pathetic.

And I've played through a borrowed SWR Henry 8x8 that just gets killed in good-sized clubs when it comes to low end (it was all "BOOMY" because the 8's couldn't provide a full low end).

Just my opinion, but anything less than a few 10's scares me off.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    IME the Henry has always been very clear and full on the low end. Any "good-sized club should have their own subs which should take care of most of the low-end anyways leaving your stage rig to handle the low-mids and everything above.

4. rickbass

Not to be a jerk Cant, but - go for it. A decently powered 15 or 18 will run 8"s out of town for warmth and "big bass" any day of the year....IME.

8"s are just too "quck" to get the massive roar of a 15"/18", IME. They sound wimpy to me.....I guess that's why most "name" bassists won't go onstage with 8"s either. :D

5. I've got a boxload of 8" drivers and I've been contemplating a 4 x 8 for the top end of my bi-amp system. This would compliment the 1 x 15 ported bottom pretty well. Your 1 x 15/2 x 8 is an interesting twist and would probably be my choice if I thought the 8's could handle the watts. In that case I would go with 2 cabs with the 15/8 combo (one on each side of the drummer) but I don't play out so it's sort of overkill right now.

6. rickbass

Ham - FWIW - I've played with a guy who used a properly powered 15 AND a couple of 8's....with a good crossover.....sounded GREAT!!!

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    just ask JAUQO he uses the madison 4x8's.
    and he really likes them. they are supposed to be able to handle low b's with out any problems.
    i think i am going to get a 4x8 and a 2x12 2x8 cab also. i think this rig should kill!
    or an 8x8.
    madison has one coming out soon.

steve

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Any thoughts on an 8x8 + 1x15 (or 18?) ?

or a 2x15..

lots of clarity in the 8s, lots of bawwlz in the 15s.

9. I use an SWR 4x8 as a stand alone most of the time. I just add a 1x15 if I'm gonna play a big venue. I play a 5, and the 4x8 handles the B better than the 1x15.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tried an Ashdown ABM Mini-4x8 while amp shopping recently but found it a bit too harsh on it's own. I plumped for another model in that range (Mini 1x15) instead. However, when I need a step up, the Mini-4x8 is at the top of my list of contenders.

All that range of cabs are about the same in size and weight and might be worth your consideration. See:

http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/abmca.htm

Wulf