Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    how do 4x8 cabs sound, ive heard that some handle lows as good as most 15's, ive never had the chance to play on one though, how do they handle lows, and everything in between? would it be worth adding to a Music man 2x12??? thanks for your info
  2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    hmm, well, ive never tried 8's... what model are you lookin at? i've heard 6's, and they are crap (the ampeg svt-806HE)
  3. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    right now just shopping around so any suggestions are open.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    what about 4x10's?
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    i have a couple of 4x10's a carvin that i use in my current set up, and an old Fender 4x10 that has nice tone and mids. Ive just heard some nice things about the 4x8's and i need some personal recomendation, and since im buying some new stuff ala music man 2x12 and i was thinking about trying out something else to go with it, cab combinations seem endless, was just thinking that trying a 4x8 with that may be exciting. I have a few 15 cabs laying around i could throw a nice new woofer in one of them and see what that does, but i really want to try or hear some reconmendations for the 4x8, and nowhere around here has one i can try,

so anyone out there who has a 4x8 or 6x8 or even an 8x8 please help me out, and thanks for your replys romeoarmada, any other suggestions?
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    it looks like SWR henry the 8x8's look good, i know thers a pro bassist out there that uses them, w/o a 15 or any woofer... i can't remember his name... and generally SWR gear rocks... and i hear 8's have a nice midrange to them... try it out. also, has anyone ever heard of Ampeg S-48's??? i saw a pair of them (ampeg column 4x8... so thats 8x8) for 150 in a pawn shop, and i haven't been able to get any info on them. and the pawn shop was in eau claire, wisconsin... i believe the name was Doctors or someting like that... and i see that your from wisconsin....
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    oooh it was pawn doctors.
  8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Try a search on the Henry 8x8...there's lots of info on it here, and same should hold true for the Ampeg 4x8. I don't know about the Ampeg, but I think one of the large complaints about the Henry was the low power handling. Oh, and yes, it is rated to go lower than any other SWR cab, except the Big Ben 1x18.
    Also, more on the monitor side, there's the SWR Baby Blue cab. 2x8. Again, low power, but might be nice to look in to.
  9. Bad_Boy

Sep 16, 2002
    Luton in UK
    Steve Lawson uses an Ashdown 4x8 and speaks highly of them.

Go to the pro's forum and do a search.
  10. i had a a idea of useing one 2x8 one 2x10 one 2x12 and one 2x15/18. i think it would get this sic sound. o well randome thought.
  11. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    When I bought my Ashdown rig (Mag 250 Head, ABM Mini 1x15 cab) I also tried the Mini 4x8 they had in at the Bass Centre.

My perception was that it was a little on the harsh side on it's own and so I opted for the 1x15 (which was suitably punchy and responsive). However, I was only wanting to get a single cab - if I add another cab to this rig, the Mini 4x8 is right at the top of the list.

12. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Ampeg made the SVT-48HE 4x8 w/ horn,rated 200W, in their Classic Series-now discontinued.
    Too bad- I have one & it sure works for me-
    Compact, tight, punchy, excellent definition.
    Sounds GREAT w/ my V4BH-all in how & what you play.

Last time I looked, there were (2) of them on E-Bay for around $200-300.