Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x8's???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, May 29, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Could someone give me a list of companies who make 4x8's and some info on the cabs? Maybe some info on your experience with them? I'd really like to try one but I've never seen one at a store before...

2. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have an older SWR Silverado. It's loaded with 4 8" speakers. Great response due to smaller drivers but plenty of volume and low end due to total cone area. I believe SWR and Ashdown are introducing 4x8 cabs soon. I'm no expert.

3. SWR used to make a 4x8, and if you can find one they are great. I have one, and would love to find another. Ashdown and Ampeg both do one. My 4x8 handles the B string better than my SWR 1x15.

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The SWR 4X8 was called the Henry Jr. Production was halted in 1997. I see one for sale on Ebay :eek: every now and then .

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I heard Ashdown was just making a new one, does Ampeg still make theres? Bill Dickens uses one in his rig so I'm thinking they probably do... anyone know the prices on some of these and the wattage ratings? (for any SWR, Ampeg, Ashdown,etc...)

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ampeg gave up on 8" speakers, they also did a cab with 8-6.5" :eek:

Today, Ashdown is the only game in town.

7. I love my Ampeg 4x8 (SVT48-HE). Like others have said, it handles a low B better than any other cab I've tried, and also gets great hi-mids and highs with it's tweeter. It's very quick sounding. If I can get my hands on another one, I will. A 8x8 set up would be ideal.

Mark

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ok well if anyone sees any 4x8's online for sale, please PM me or something because I'd really like to get one of these. Henry 8x8's sound really nice but I'd like something smaller than that. It'd be real cool if there was a 4x8 that was just right to sit on top of a 1x12 now that would be my ideal rig.