5.1 for my computer!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I just went shopping in Walmart recently and had my eye on a 70 dollar 5.1 system. But today, I was planning on buying it, and i went to the website. I saw one for 50 bucks!!! The local walmart didn't have one, so I went to the one in the nex town over, and there was one left. It had been resealed like it was returned. Everything was there, though. So I get it home, run it through my edirol usb audio interface, to the system. It has and 8" sub, I think. And 5 satellite speakers. Best 50 dollars worth of home audio stuff I have ever bought. I couldn't believe the sound. And for only $50!!!
  2. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Nice. I just moved up from standard speakers to a creative 2.1 system. I love having a sub :) It's like having you own personal bass drum under the computer...
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    if you can get 5.1, go for it. It's so awesome
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have an Altec Lansing 2.1 system that i got for $70. Its really nice. My brother has a 6.1 system or something in his room. Its made for gaming though so the bass is kind of muddy and more BOOM than wats in music, so i like mine better for what i use it for.
  5. My Panasonic stereo has a USB out so when no ones home I hook it up the family pc and blare it. Prety rockin stuff.
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    A few days ago, i bought a DVD 5.1 surround system for $90. It has a nice DVD player, and an amp, 2 RCA inputs. It's got a Sub (5.25") and 5 3" satelittes. It actually sounds great. Its a huge step up from my 3" TV speaker...
  7. What a coincidence. I just bought a 5.1 surround system last night; Altec-Lansing sub & five speakers with 90 total watts power. The power doesn't sound like much compared to our bass rigs, but is more than plenty for my computer corner. The family has been watching DVD movies on the computer instead of the TV. Got mine at Walmart for $78.00 USD. They had both Altec-Lansing and Creative Labs in stock and I had to make my choice based on appearance as I didn't have opportunity to listen before purchasing. I'm satisfied with my purchase, but still don't know if one sounds better than the other. I had recently upgraded my sound card from the onboard unit to the Creative 5.1. I bought the card from Staples, but they only carried 4.1 sound systems (or less). Walmart stocked the 5.1 sound systems but only the 4.1 cards. Go figure.
  8. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Man, my 2.1 is pushing 100 watts... it's sooo loud. I really don't see how a 5.1 could really do any better than the set I have right now. It has so many technological things in it... Each speaker has a bi amp system.. Titanium cones, lateral firing speakers... It just rocks. Everyone should have an I-trigue sound system :)

For the true audiophile, creative now has a 7.1... my sound card supports it, but I like my 2.1 too much... :)
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Well it's not a question of loudness but of surround sound. 2 speakers cannot create surround sound...I don't care WHAT the guy at the Bose store told you! ;)

brad cook