1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

No longer available 5.2 lb Basslab Soul V-feels like a feather, sounds like an anvil

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lomo, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Price:
    Strings:
    I have too much gear, haven't gigged for a few years and need to trim down further. What I have left are my all-time faves, but I still have 6 basses and 1 or 2 more need to escape for space/storage reasons.

This Basslab Soul V was a custom build for me, about 10 years ago. 34" scale, 19mm spacing at bridge. It's a unique and rare bass, fully hollow from bridge to nut (yes, the neck is hollow, too), with glass flat board (no dead spots) that's a dream to tap (which I cannot). It truly weighs 5.2 lbs and is the lightest "real" bass I have ever seen or played. Because it's hollow, it sounds like a hollowbody (big lows if you want them) but the body is so thin (like a regular sold bass) that it won't feed back. It has 3 small sound holes in the body and is almost as loud unplugged as an ABG, making it a pleasure to practice unplugged. It's currently passive (plenty of room for a preamp if you want) and IMHO does not need a preamp. Output is high/loud. It takes any normal strings, which simply clamp at the headstock. Tuner placement at the bridge makes for perfect balance seated or strapped. Schaller locks. There's a recessed Dunlop straplock receiver in the lower body edge for my bass belt (see pics) which affects nothing. I ordered it installed, but this one came in so light I do not need it.

This would run you about 4K today: BassLab – Basses & Guitars

.....and you'd wait months (and probably more months).....

Heiko finishes his composite custom builds in auto paint and clear coat. This one is Nissan sunlit copper metallic with black painted on faux 'guard.

The price is low and OBO because of the following issues:

1)He installed a truss rod at my insistence (he said the neck would never budge and it was a waste). I had never touched it and the neck has NEVER moved or needed adjustment, even in Montreal, which gets as hot as Mexico city in the summer and as cold as Leningrad in winter. I discovered last night that the rod does not work. It turns freely with no result....boobies on a bull....which happily has no use for boobies, if you will.

2)It's currently wired volume with a 4 way pickup selector. Only the volume knob works. The tone is always fully on, with both pups on. This can be easily fixed but will need the 'lectronix know how. I have played it this way for years but you may choose to have it fixed. Pickup are Basslab in house "rough crystal" noisless JJ.

Sounds thick and defined. I have been asked for clips but am a techno-leper in this regard. I guess if someone is truly interested, I will take a quick vid with my iPhone I can send via email or text or play it live via face time??

3)There are 2-3 tiny paint chips on the headstock(see pics). The body is pristine. Most of what's in my pics are reflections, but the headstock chips are well-seen.

From the back she really looks like a woman!

1500 OBO shipped CONUS from VT. I will be in VT April 14th to ship. I can take a deposit early, with full payment before I ship-please do check my voluminous feedback. Before then it can be purchased for shipping from Montreal (where it currently is) to most of Canada (far north and maritimes extra) or picked up in Mtl for a tad less. Paypal.

Trade possibilities : I will consider pretty much anything that takes up less storage space than a bass: a head, a small cab/combo, power amp/rack, a pedal preamp , currency, whiskey, gin, grappa or tequila but not rum or vodka and definitely no bass trades. The only pedal I'll consider other than a preamp is an Electro Harmonix Bass Synth.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Burwabit, jammadave, mpdd and 3 others like this.
  2. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Lomo you have the coolest basses!

lomo likes this.
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks....but what I need right now is a little more space :)

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Awesome! What a cool bass....