Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5/8 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by stringbassfello, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Anyone know where I can find a 5/8 bass? Any makers, or specs?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

2. I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that over 90% of the basses now being sold as 5/8 size are in reality 1/2 size.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Bob, are you apllying that to old or new basses ?

I'd love to find an old american 5/8's bass.

4. Mostly older. There are a few basses that are actually made to fill the gap between half and 3/4 size but most are just larger bodied 1/2 size. Gold medal luthier Daniel Hachez makes a solo bass which is described as a 5/8. I'm sure he isn't the only one. When I opened my first shop in the 1960s, for all practical purposes, the 5/8 size did not exist. If you were to look at music wholesale catalogs from that time, you simply would not find a 5/8 size in any of them. MENC made no mention of 5/8 when they drew up the MENC Standards for school instruments around that same time.

We all know that bass sizes are not truely standardized and one persons 7/8 may be someone elses 3/4. And... one guys 1/2 size may be someone elses 5/8 size.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have never seen a factory maker offer anything they marketed as a 5/8 bass.

I have seen a couple of 19th century pieces at various websites being tauted as 5/8. I guess they can't fairly call a bass with a 39.5" string length a 3/4 and feel bad asking $10K for a 1/2 size.

Anyway, good luck finding what you are looking for. Any reason a 3/4 bass is no good?

6. Thanks for your help fellas

7. I almost bought a 5/8 bass a few years ago. I was told it was an old (around the turn of the century) german bass, although there was no documentation or anything with it. Also no label. The bass was definately what I would call a 5/8, in that it was significantly smaller than a 3/4, but not so small as to be wierd to play like I would consider a 1/2. I ended up not buying the bass because it needed a lot of work and the seller was a jerk, but it was an interesting bass. So I'd say they are definately out there...

8. I had a 5/8ths for quite a few years. to make a long story short, it recently needed expensive repairs, so I traded it in for credit at Hammond Ashley's for my new bass (3/4), and it ends up that after repairs it will have the string length of a 1/2 size anyway. I always had trouble getting loud volumes out of it, but the smaller scale was a God send for me and my small hands. Im still getting used to the larger scale of the 3/4.

9. Check out Lemur music in CA.

He has a 5/8. I played it a few days ago and it had a nice sound.

They are nice folks.

http://www.lemur-music.com/

Keith