1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

5/8 Juzek Bass - $5000

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by robconz, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robconz

robconz

Jan 7, 2009
    Philadelphia
    This is a 5/8 fully carved Juzek Upright Double Bass in excellent condition. This would serve as an excellent solo or jazz bass. The sound from this restored instrument is remarkable and massive, whether pizz. or arco. The low-end is positively bellowing. I can provide better photos and sound files upon request.

Similar Juzeks tend to sell for $2500 to $3000 on eBay prior to major repairs. Appraisal can be provided.

The Juzek features a full ebony tailpiece, new ebony endpin with removable tip, and new D'Adario orchestral strings, hybrids can be substituted. The bridge is new, and the string length is 38 and 3/4".

The restoration of this instrument was performed by Rob Riccardi Jr. of Riccardi's Violin Shop in New Jersey, which specializes in Double Bass repairs. Website is here: http://www.riccardisviolinshop.com/index.htm

We are both happy to promptly respond to any questions you have about the instrument. Upon sale, we prefer a pick-up arrangement (South Jersey or Philadelphia), but I will be willing to deliver it anywhere in the Eastern US (within reason) for travel expenses. Third-party shipping could also be an option, but I cannot be held responsible for damages in transit and therefore do not advise this method.

www.riccardisviolinshop.com

EDIT: Sorry for breaking the rules and not listing a price. I read the Sticky, but obviously not that well. Please email for better quality photos and sound files, or with any questions. Anyone in the area is welcome to try it out.

Attached Files:

2. robconz

robconz

Jan 7, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for the tip

3. robconz

robconz

Jan 7, 2009
    Philadelphia
    My mistake. Thread title updated with price.

Cheers,
    Rob C

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Since the above posts uses the first person plural pronoun "We" several times and provides multiple links to a violin shop in addition to including a picture taken in a shop, I have to ask: Is this a bass that belongs to an individual, not in a shop and not on consignment in any way? If not, it's likely that it violates the Talkbass Commercial User Policy. Please read the linked material. If you are actually a commercial user, we'll have to remove the for sale post, but since you are new you could be cut some slack beyond that once we've cleared the status issue up.

5. I remember one of the apprentices of the shop mentioning he had a 5/8ths Juzek that he wanted to get rid of. I'm curious as well

6. robconz

robconz

Jan 7, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Great question. Sorry for the confusion - to add to it, we are both named Rob. The bass belongs to myself, Rob Conzelman. I obtained the Juzek in pre-restored condition, originally intending to keep it as a decorative antique. Upon researching the Juzek history and realizing its potential, I sought out shops that specialized in restoring Double Basses to get some opinions.

I chose Robert Riccardi, who has restored the bass at his South Jersey shop, and is helping me to sell it. Thus, Rob Riccardi is the best resource for technical questions about the bass. It remains at his shop for anyone seeking a test-drive. For additional (hi-res) photos and sound files, please contact me (Rob C).

Disclosure: I am a non-pro musician, and I do not have double bass experience.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.