Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5/8 Lindy (Lindi)?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    I have a chance to purchase a 5/8 Lindy laminated bass for under $1,000.00. It is good shape, was recently professionally set up and has an adjustable bridge and Spinacore strings. It has a decent sound but not powerful.

I am an electric player that has never played the upright but I want to learn and play. I played this bass and was surprised that I quickly found some notes and created a bass line.

Does this purchase make sense?

Any idea what the market price would be for this bass (east coast USA).

Would I be able to resell this bass or trade it in later if I wanted to upgrade to a 3/4?

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Lindy? Never heard... Where are they made? Who sells them? Sure it's not Lidl?

In general, for a good laminated bass (if indeed this is decent), setup, new strings and bridge, the price is attractive. However, if there's nothing exceptionally special about this 5/8 bass to you, I'd hold out for a 3/4. Already sounds like you take issue with it projection (...though a big part of the "power" you refer to comes with time and solid technique).

Good luck.

3. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Ok I don't know how to spell it. I understand that it's Czech. It is all laminated and seems solid.

4. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Hello Dad Bass;

You should at least look at and play a 3/4 URB before you buy this 5/8 you mention. I suggest this so you won't be dissapointed. :crying:

Walt MI/US

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    You could be referring to the brand name LINDL which is made by Strunal, I believe. Strunal is a good solid modern Czech bass that plays and sounds good and looks like it will hold up well over time. However, most 5/8 basses don't have the sound of a 3/4 which is the standard size, so I would predict a disappointment in that sense.

Ike