1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5/8 Lindy (Lindi)?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dad Bass, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    I have a chance to purchase a 5/8 Lindy laminated bass for under $1,000.00. It is good shape, was recently professionally set up and has an adjustable bridge and Spinacore strings. It has a decent sound but not powerful.

I am an electric player that has never played the upright but I want to learn and play. I played this bass and was surprised that I quickly found some notes and created a bass line.

Does this purchase make sense?

Any idea what the market price would be for this bass (east coast USA).

Would I be able to resell this bass or trade it in later if I wanted to upgrade to a 3/4?

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Lindy? Never heard... Where are they made? Who sells them? Sure it's not Lidl?

In general, for a good laminated bass (if indeed this is decent), setup, new strings and bridge, the price is attractive. However, if there's nothing exceptionally special about this 5/8 bass to you, I'd hold out for a 3/4. Already sounds like you take issue with it projection (...though a big part of the "power" you refer to comes with time and solid technique).

Good luck.

3. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Ok I don't know how to spell it. I understand that it's Czech. It is all laminated and seems solid.

4. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    Hello Dad Bass;

You should at least look at and play a 3/4 URB before you buy this 5/8 you mention. I suggest this so you won't be dissapointed. :crying:

Walt MI/US

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    You could be referring to the brand name LINDL which is made by Strunal, I believe. Strunal is a good solid modern Czech bass that plays and sounds good and looks like it will hold up well over time. However, most 5/8 basses don't have the sound of a 3/4 which is the standard size, so I would predict a disappointment in that sense.

Ike