Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 and 6 string basses with an asymmetrical neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nad, Jan 21, 2006.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Right, so I'm really ready to dive into the Extended Range Bass© arena, the only problem is I very rarely find a comfortable neck!

I have a 5-string Tobias Growler that I absolutely love (except the battery chugging electronics), I picked it up cheap at Guitar Center last year, $600 w/ case. Previously I had never even thought of anything more-than-4 because nothing has ever felt comfortable to me, but this bass sure does. It's the asymmetrical neck that does it, it feels as natural as my Sterling! Okay well not quite, but pretty close. ;)

Any other basses with an asymmetrical neck? New or used, cheap or boutique, doesn't matter.

Cheers.

2. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I believe the MTD line has assymmetrical necks. At least my pre-MTD Grendel has it.

I like it, too. :)

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Carvin had a wider neck option that I believe is asymmetrical, as well as their standard Bunny Brunel. Warmoth's Gecko line of necks are asymmetrical also.

4. I think the mtd's all have asymetrical necks, modulus genesis 5's have them too.

5. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    pre-MTD Grendel???

I have a Grendel GR5, Serial# 14. Mine is an MTD. I did not think the Grendel name existed in the 'Tobias' days.:eyebrow:

Did you mean before they switched to the MTD logo, when the headstock still said Micheal Tobias Designs?

All MTD's have asymetrical necks. I had a Kingston for a little while that had it.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My Carvin LB76 has an assymetrical neck and it's the most comfortable bass I've ever played. Fact that it's a 6 string makes the assymetrical neck that much more useful.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm pretty sure all Elrick neckthroughs have them. Not sure about the bolt-ons though.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Dingwalls as well.

9. Perhaps a reference to the lines of bass guitars made below the Grendel line, i.e. Kingston and Saratoga lines.

-ryan-

10. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, a Saratgoga is a Grendel. Grendels were made in Prauge, Saratogas are made in Korea. I contacted Mike Tobias when I bought the Grendel second-hand to find out what the differences where.

11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Thanks for fueling my MTD GAS even more all. :D

I'll check out these others when the time comes. Cheers.

12. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I would imagine so since even the Cort/Elrick Josh Paul has an asymetrical neck.

That's a very comfortable, great playing and sounding bass, and highly under-rated. You hardly hear them mentioned anymore. Shame

K

13. Is this correct? I thought only the 5 string Carvins had assymetrical necks.

I really like the assymetrical neck on the Bunny Brunel 5 string I tried. Fits my hand nicely.

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Bump.

Why?

Because in my search for a more-than-4 bass, every time I play a non-asymmetrical neck I remember why I rarely venture beyond 4-poppers: I jess dun like dah feeyul of dem wayde necksuh.

I shouldn't have sold my Growler, oh well. :(

15. Jerzy Drozd basses have thin, fast, asymmetrical necks. I've never played a more comfortable, ergonomic bass.

16. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    MTD's have assymetrical necks as well as Carvin 5str (bunny brunnel esp)

Dingwall have the best neck profile IMHO. I joke by saying that Sheldon Dingwall made the Dingwall basses with my hand in mind (I am sure that may bass players that have tried aDingwall bass will claim the same)

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    The Carvin Brunell 6's are asymetrical. My teacher plays one, great feeling neck.

I handled a bolt-on Elrick at Bass NW last year and it was asymetrical. I'd love to own an Elrick!

18. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To get the asymmetrical neck on a Carvin, you have to specifically order the "wide neck" option.

Because it is the same neck as that of Carvin's Bunny Brunel model, some people call it "The Bunny Neck."

It's an awesome neck, BTW!

19. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    All Tobias basses have asymmetric necks, not just the growler. The 6-string neck is very comfortable.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Asymmetrical neck profiles rule!! :bassist:

In addition to those listed: the recently discontinued Fender RB5 has an asymmetrical neck. The profile is on the chunky side, but the slight asymmetry makes it nice and comfy to my hands.