5 band pre...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mollin man, Sep 13, 2005.

1. where can i get a 5 band onboard preamp if at all possible? would i have to go custom?

Mollin Man
  2. may I ask? what do you need 5 bands of eq for on your bass?
    Why don't you go for a 3 band with a sweepable midrange?
    ...I know that these exist...Aggie OBP-3's can be configured this way
  3. cause i want a crazy amount of knobs!! that's why!! :D

i could do the aggie and put some dummy pots in... :rolleyes:
  4. ummmm....ok....

an OBP-3 modded with the sweepable mid could require 3 pots for tone control and a stacked pot for the mid sweep (that's 4)...then add a volume pot for each pickup (2 perhaps?)...then if you want a bypass, but a switching pot in)...then if your pickups are humbucking and you want to switch them between series/single/parallel, another switching pot for each of these (2 again?)

for a two pickup bass, I can now count 9 knobs... :eek:

do you want more? :confused:
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    while I love onboard preamps, 5 bands would give me analysis paralysis on stage. I've favoured 3 bands for the last few years, but am thinking about sticking with 2 band more and more.

having said that, the 4 band eq on the bongo is verl cool. But there is no aftermarket off the shelf onboard 5 band eq preamp out there to my knowledge (and I've tried just about every preamp there is)
  6. thanks guys. i just thought it might be funny to have more tone knobs on my bass than i do on my amp... :p

Mollin Man.
  7. +1 on 2 bands...

IMO 2 bands on a bass is enough for "tweaking" the instrument's sound in action. Beyond that, everything should be set through the amplifier and the FOH.
  8. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    if you want to eq like crazy why dont you use two preamps. One preamp for each pickup. so you could have a 3 band pre for your neck pickup and a 3 band pre for your bridge pickup. If you really want to get crazy you could have a 3 bank for your piezo...that is if you have one.
  9. JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Had the same "problem" some time ago...

Mike Pope (who designed the Fodera preamps) does custom electronics. Probably with 25 knobs if necessary ;)

10. thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    I won't do a five band with less than 26 knobs.
    1) Volume
    2) Balancer
    3) Bass
    4) Low mid
    5) High mid
    6) Treble
    7) High treble
    8) dog whistle
    9) channel 2 (CBS)
    10) channel 4 (NBC)
    11) channel 5 (FOX)
    12) channel 7 (ABC)
    13) channel 13 (PBS)
    14) channel 27 (DSC)
    15) channel 49 (COM)
    16) volume right hand index finger
    17) volume right hand middle finger
    18) volume right hand ring finger (Gary Willis model only)
    19) volume right hand pinky (Matt Garrison model only)
    20) suck filter intensity
    21) suck filter threshold
    22) suck filter high pass Fc
    23) time corrector intensity
    24) groove corrector intensity
    25) note corrector intensity
    26) note adder intensity (makes it sound like you're playing more notes than you actually are...not recommended for public use EVER!)

Or I have a 5 knob version with a stacked bass/low mid and a stacked treble/high treble along with a stand alone mid (which can be switchable) and a volume and balancer.

There's also the one knob configuration.
    1) good/bad

can also be configured as
    1) happy/sad

and a 7 stage concentric control. It's only one hole in the bass but the knobs stack up to a total height of 8.75 inches. Requires a custom bass case...or a hole in your gig bag.

-Mike Pope

11. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ok. The guy from Winters custom basses (named JP) will set you up with one.

He's just kind of starting out though, so his sites nothing too fancy (try googling it, I don't have the link) but his work is really good. He has a 5 band EQ as an option on his basses and would sell you one seperate.
  12. I can second this. This guy knows what he's doing and is doing it for a really fair price! Just contact him and he'll work out a deal for you :)
  13. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Which could very well inspire the comment "is that a 7-band EQ or is your bass just happy to see me?"

Thanks for that Mike, that gave me a laugh.
  14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All kidding aside (good one Will..... :D ) Mike Pope is the person that I'd suggest if you're serious about the 5 band pre. He has made them. Mike himself uses I believe a 5 band in his bass. The reason for this is that he bypasses the preamp in his amplifer and goes straight to the powersection (although, the last time I heard he was thinking of making a rackmount pre for ease between his electric 6 and his electric upright.). Anyway, it can be done and it can be usefull. It's all in what you want to do with it.
  15. I have a happy/sad knob on my bass, it works really well when switching between major and minor keys...

I also have a bass that has a remote control...I don't play it much, because my wife has commandeered the control and refuses to take the bass out of Oprah/Dr. Phil mode.
  16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have one knob on my bass, the suck knob. I try to keep that one to a minimum....
  17. thepontif

Apr 24, 2004
    Designer Fodera Guitars/Michael Pope Design, Inc., Trickfish Amplification
    The only thing I've found to combat the whole Dr. Phil/Oprah thing is an ultra low noise Lillian Vernon catalog generator. There are stand alone versions available. They don't use batteries. You just stuff cash into them and they work forever.
  18. LoPhreaque

Apr 21, 2004
    5 bands?
    Man, I can only play with one at a time.