1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 Bass lines in 5 minutes Lesson (for U-Bass and Bass Guitar)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by stephencoxbass, Sep 19, 2018.

1. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta

This lesson includes 5 popular bass riffs: Seven Nation Army, Billie Jean, Money, Brown Eyed Girl, and I Want You Back. Enjoy!

zbigniew likes this.
  2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You're playing Billie Jean wrong. All the F#'s should be octaves.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  3. Why does anyone really need to learn those lines anyway? Better go learn Red House, Crosscut Saw and Killin' Floor... Those 3 lines will get you through about 50 songs...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  4. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Hey Iz005, I play Billie Jean with the octaves sometimes, but honestly...it's unnecessary to teach that to beginners. Someone else pointed out that I had a wrong note in the Jackson 5 song, though...that's one I should note: The 2nd note of the line should be a flat 3rd instead of a 2nd. Also, leaving out a doubled octave doesn't make the line "wrong." All the notes are still there and represented.

5. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    For those that want to learn 5 intros in addition to this:

6. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Spin Doctor, True...but not every bassist wants to be a blues player. I think a background in the blues is essential, too! These are just for fun...I'll probably do a "5 Blues lines..." video soon. When I say they "should" know these lines...it's more like...people will ask you "oh, you play bass? Can you play ...?"

Spin Doctor likes this.
  7. Well sure, I get that. And I get that everyone doesn't want t be a blues player. But My sentiment is that if you play any type of American pop, rock R&B or whatever, you need to be able to play the blues. I've met guitarists and bassist in certain situations and they couldn't play blues at all, in any context. That's a "what the hell" moment for me.

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If you're going to pretend to be a teacher, at least play the song correctly. Don't insult your audience by dumbing it down.

9. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Fair enough. I'll add a card that links to Bass Wizard's video and put a note in the description.

10. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    I agree completely! Thank you for the idea to do a "5 Blues Bass Lines in 5 Minutes video." I think it will be a great addition once I get a chance to make it :)

11. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    @Spin Doctor , I made the first of the Blues series...but it's a challenge to teach 12 bar lines in under 5 minutes, so I had to stick to just the 1 or 2 bar patterns. Thanks again for the idea!

Spin Doctor likes this.
  12. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I, probably, understand the reason you've played those two G notes on the D string with your Ring finger in your Example# 2, but I would play those two 8ths with my pinky.

13. stephencoxbass

stephencoxbass

Feb 9, 2010
    Atlanta
    Oh yes, on full size electric bass I definitely use the pinky as well! On U-Bass, it's just a tad bit more cramped :) There are lots of little things I have to alter when switching between the two instruments.

LarryBama and Whousedtoplay like this.