Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5" Bass speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbanks, Sep 21, 2003.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    :bag: :)
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a Boss MG-800 guitar amp I use in the dining room when I don't feel like denting my light bill by firing up the rig; at least, I did use, until I fried the speakers in a fit of ill advised enthusiasm. I was going to retire it to the 'Pit of Burned out Amps', until I noticed its a 100w amp! Who'd a guessed? Well my next Ideas are:
    a) Find a 2 5" 100w BASS speakers
    b) Remove the speakers, Cut off the bottom 3" of the cab, install speaker jacks and find a 1-10" bass cab.
    I like the 1st idea because it remains very small and won't piss-off the wife. Finally, my question: who makes 5" 100w Bass speakers?
    :confused::bag:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Technically doesn't each speaker only need to be 50 or so W? But if you ask everyone else who replied to my other amp thread I'm apparently ignorant when it comes to anything electronic...

_RaY_

3. Phil Jones is the only one I have heard of building what you want, but I doubt he sells raw speakers.

Geoff

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Parts Express has quite an assortment of 5" drivers. Most of them will be either woofers or mid-bass drivers. I don't think you will find a full-range speaker in 5" that will do both the lows and highs you need.

I'd make it into a head and put a small 8" or 10" box underneath.

5. I'm a fan of using car audio subwoofer speakers (currently running an Eden into a Hifonics 12" sub). Sure, you lose some on the sensitivity front (car subs tend to be around the 90db mark, a far cry from the >98db we're used to), but for practise and quiet stuff they're perfect.

5" subs can be found reasonably easily, and most do at least 100w RMS. Just make sure the frequency range extends up to around 3kHz, otherwise she'll sound like a mud monster (unless you go the whole hog and fit a piezo tweeter as well).

You'd probably want 8Ohm subs so that the total load is 4Ohm (speakers wired parallel) into the amp - unless it can only handle 8ohms, then your options become limited (serial-wired speakers - yeesh!).

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Gonna try these first.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...St3=-88721014&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=118225&DID=7
    If I fry these then an 8"-10" cab:) :bag:

7. You can get car subs with generally better specs than those (albiet pricier).
    That's certainly a tasty price!

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah! I can screw up a couple of times at that price!
    ESP-LTD....Thanks!:)

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sounds Good to me....:) :bag:

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I got the speakers,(which were actually 6") and installed them in the amp. I had to Remove the amp section to do it, and now I can't return it to its original position, because the speaker magnets are much bigger than the originals. I'll drill a couple of holes to lock it down, but, the little squirt sounds pretty good. I think I could shred these, too, but for home, its fine. With a guitar, its pretty loud. Loud enough to practice and do small gigs. But, now its ridiculously heavy, about 40 lbs. Well, its a trade-off I can deal with; it ain't going anywhere. :D