1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 5 basses from Japan (4 Fender, 1 YAKIMA)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dave79, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

Yakima $200 PayPal Shipped
    V03 Serial Precision Bass Lyte $240 PayPal Shipped
    E8 Serial Power Jazz Bass Special $400 PayPal Shipped
    E8 Serial Squier Jazz $400 PayPal Shipped

SOLD SQ Serial Squier Pbass $350 SOLD

I have plenty of pics of all of them, just attaching the important ones now.

Let's start with the oddball, Yakima, very little about this out there. Ran across a listing on EBay for a bass that was almost exactly like this but had a different company name, can't remember what it was called but they said that it was a Fuji-Gen factory bass. Also this has the exact same string through bridge as my Daion Mark II.
    Anyway, the neck is nice solid maple, in league with a 70's Fender P neck, much better than a Mexi. The body is plywood, has a 2-ply pickguard, and screw for a non-Fender sized thumbrest. Wearing thoroughly broken in Thomastik Infeld Roundwounds. Dig that matching headstock.
    6737496395_eba47f77c5_b.

Next, a Pbass Lyte with the electronics gutted and an active EMG pickup in. 6.4lbs Has Dunlop straplocks. The back of the bass is beautiful, it's a shame someone slapped the hell out of the front. Doesn't look this bad without a flash.
    6737496913_0a0ca2d37e_b.
    6737497387_30aea58fe6_z.

Welcome to the Jungle, although I guess Duff's didn't have the 9V or graphite layer. Nice shape, all original, new 45-100 D'Ads on it.
    6737497471_71a6139e47_b.
    6737497639_d7c67aeee1_z.

Squier Jazz is here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-only-fender-squier-japan-jazz-bass-813840/
    6208769145_6917f38c75_z.

2. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    On the E8 Serial Power Jazz Bass Special, is the back of the neck black or natural?

3. dave79

Natural without "skunk stripe". Interesting question, did they make them with that part black?

4. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    Yes, but they seem to be pretty rare. I'm not sure why, but some have a gloss black neck.

5. 123321

123321 Bravely eating @ MacDonald's Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    All the Power Jazzes I've seen have some good looking wood in the necks... I believe someone may be confusing your bass with the Jazz Bass Special (like Duff's)... The only downside I've ever experienced from the Power Jazz it the 22 fret neck... You can't put a standard Fender neck on it or visa versa... My limited experienced has shown these necks to be killin' though and I've seen two that I wanted to buy just for the necks!!! Maybe not the basswood bodies in my case though... They obviously are capable of great tones!!

6. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    So the "Jazz Special" has the gloss black neck and the "Power Jazz Special" has natural?

7. dave79

I was hoping to hear that some of these had the graphite reinforcement on the back too.

Back of the neck might be shadow(?), I never noticed a color difference, might be just slight with the flash accentuating it, it's definitely not sanded or anything

6737497907_f528c32b14_z.
    6743981991_e2c26377d8_z.
    6743980857_c5030982d6_b.

8. Ayalt

Ayalt

Aug 3, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    pm sent

9. dave79

SQ Pbass SOLD

10. shrap

shrap Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    The Yakima looks like a Matsumoku Bass. The brass ring, string-thru bridge is specific to that factory. They made a lot of P-Basses that combined that bridge with full size F style tuning keys. These basses are a very good bang for the buck. I have an Electra that looks very similar to yours. These come in a variety of brand names. Electra, Quest, Vox, Hondo, Memphis etc. The Matsumoku factory also made Vantage, Aria, Daion, Westone. Good luck with the sale.

11. dave79

Cool, I don't know why the other person thought theirs was a Fuji

12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Ohhhhh, that poooor Lyte Deluxe!

13. dave79

Yeah, it and all the other abused basses of the world need to be in a Sarah McLachlan commercial

14. dave79

Thinking about subbing in my FotoFlame Jazz instead of selling the Squier. The neck is better playing on the Squier but I really like the tone of the FotoFlame which is odd because they are probably the same electronics.

15. nj fclef

nj fclef Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2005
    SFO/OAK/SJC (from EWR)
    LMFAO!!!!!

16. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I have a Power Jazz Bass Special. 22 fret neck, natural. Great wood in the neck, and very stable. One of the best-feeling Fender necks I've played, period.

17. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I got my Power Jazz Bass Special second hand (my first bass, actually). It's set up vol, vol, tone, tone, with a three-way pickup selector switch (neck, both, bridge). The pickups were swapped out for EMGs, and there is a 9V compartment in the back (to run the pups, as I understand -- volumes and tones are passive).

What is the setup on this bass? I see three knobs and two switches.

18. dave79

it has A.T.E.

passive/lo boost/midboost switch and a 3-way for pickup select

knobs-volume/tone/freq

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What was the body wood on the Lyte? Mahogany?

20. dave79

Correct, mahogany.

Jeez, sometimes I wish Sarah McLachlan didn't talk like a sailor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.