Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 cents worth of free advice?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Whammytap, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Hey all, I'm back after a 6-month absence--I missed this place! :) I had a question for the experts and semi-experts out there--heck, anyone who has an opinion for that matter!

I am building two fretless basses this year in college, as close to identical as I can get them. I found Bloodwood at my local lumberyard, and the plan is for the instruments to be neck-through, center neck laminate being a tapered laminate (same degree as the overall taper of the neck) of bloodwood, bordered by two thin laminates of wenge and two thin laminates of rock maple. The body top (solidbody) is going to be bloodwood as well, and the fingerboard ebony.

My question is, what kind(s) of wood(s) should I be looking into for body woods, save for the bloodwood top, in order to get a nice balanced sound out of these basses? I.E. not too dark or trebly, etc. :confused:

P.S.--I am using Hipshot bridges so these basses can be strung thru-body or traditionally, according to taste.

I've always come here for advice before beginning a bass project, so any input woudl be greatly appreciated! I searched for threads about Bloodwood but couldn't find any that specifically addressed the tonal qualities. Thanks!

2. Here's the thing with neck thru's - all of the components that count are mounted on the same board. That is where most all of the tone shaping is going to take place. In a bolt on, the strings are mounted on two components and that sort of brings them both into play more than the neckthru. My advice - pick something nice for your body wings and don't worry too much about it. Get a good set of pups and an active tone circuit and eq everything else.

I'll also say this again - a bass isn't a bowl of soup that has little smidgens of ingredients all adding up to one complex palette of flavor. Rather, you are getting a burger and fries - most of your tone is going to be affected by the composition of the major components and the stringers, accents, and other small pieces - hard or soft - won't contribute or detract at all in the final mix.

3. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Hambone, what about the small smidgin of mustard with that big dominent flavour?

:D

A taper'd centre should looks very ncie indeed, I was tempter on doing that with my project but re considered, no particular reason but I did.

Definately going to do one on furutre projects (as I am sure there will be). Also wing's wont make much differnce to sound at all like Hambone said.

... oh I suppose the pickups are just like the mustard .... :rolleyes:

Zet.

4. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Hey thanks guys! I guess I'll go ahead and do sandwich wings then--bloodwood on top and back with alder or basswood, something lightweight in the middle.

Whams