Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 conductor P bass Pup wiring help??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stu L., Jan 22, 2004.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So, this cool new pup for my MIM P has 5 conductors :confused:
    The top pickup (closer to the neck) has 3 conductors and the lower pup has 2 leads. Any ideas?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    No, it's an Allparts. I'm currently on the phone with them, maybe that will bring something up. Thanks Smash. And any other ideas?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, since it's a dual coil pickup you have a hot/cold for each coil. That gives you 4 leads. You usually run them in series to get that P sound, but you can wire them in parallel if you want.

It sounds like you also have a shielding ground wire.

I don't think Allparts actually make pickups themselves, so it has to be from a regular manufacturer. Look on the dimarzio web site for their 4 wire diagram, see if this helps.
    http://www.dimarzio.com/install/w_d_4_conductor.html

If it doesn't help, take a photo of the back of the pups and/or describe the colors of the various wires coming out the pickups.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks Dave and Smash. After the call to Allparts and a little old fashioned soldering, I got it. Allparts did tell me that it was another manufactures pup, but of course didn't say whose. Oh well, it's in and sounds good. Thanks again for the help.

Any ideas on how to find out who actually made the pup?

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Exposed, adjustable pole pieces. No wording on top or bottom. And I think we all know I can't figure out how to post pics :rolleyes: ...

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    That looks like it. I'll try searching for descriptive terms on how the Model P sounds. This could be the best $5 I've spent in a while :D

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Unfortunately, it was a blowout sale. Sorry. So is there a reasonable chance that if in fact it is a Dimarzio that it would be up to par with the Model P?

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    But buying them all and reselling them here wouldn't be fair/right/whatever :).

I also ordered a sponge set or whatever it is that lifts the pickups so that you can adjust the hight. That should be in Monday, butI may go ahead and string 'er up and see what kind of sounds I get. I like the almost nasty sounds you described, so maybe after all my looking I've found something for me. :)

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    It sounds like you're thinking what I'm thinking, that they are Dimarzios. Cool if they are, and if not oh well.

In re: the foam, I know just about anyhting will work, but I was already on the phone trying to figure out how to wire it, so I ordered the stuff anyways :)