1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 Fretless Or 6 Fretted, What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B'Aces High, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Well i have decided i really like the 5 string fretless bubinga bass and the 6 string fretted At Rondo, and am seriously considering getting one or the other. But...

Im not sure which to choose...i never owned a fretless...so i know that would take some getting used to. But i never played a 6 string either...so i dunno if i could adapt to that.

So what do you guys think might be easier for me to adapt too?

5 string fretless or 6 string fretted?

(just for the record i perfer the look of the 6 string)
    http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=850849|940496&PRID=1393509

http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=850849|940496&PRID=812851

2. IMO, an unlined fretless 5 would be harder than a fretted 6.

3. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Personally,
    I started with a fretted six, and then moved on to fretless. Now I play fretted AND fretless 6'es. I can't go back to 5's anymore, since I don't like playing up the neck.

I'm getting the new rondo 6 fretted tomorrow in the mail, if I like it, I may pick up the fretless as well. I'll post a review.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think a 5 string fretless would be cooler.

5. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    AT THAT PRICE GET ONE OF EACH.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    If I hadn't just got a 5, I'd get the 6:meh:

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Why not get both? That's what I did. Get one now, and when you get the money, buy the other one.