1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 gallons of Diesel: Claypool content

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Anthbass, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I picked up this 3 hours-plus in length compilation DVD. It chronicles videos, making of's and live performances from Les's non-Primus bands. Honestly, I am a fan but alot of the material is just...'art-house wankery'. The Bucket of Bernie Brains section contains a couple of good jams, but in all I am glad I bought this on the cheap. I do have a question: what is the one-stringed bass he plays called, where you manipulate the frequency by pulling or releasing a (springed?) handle?

2. ^Didn't Les invent that thing or build it himself or something?

Anyway, as an avid Claypool fan (of aallll his work), I loved that DVD.

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    The story I've heard about the Whamola was that a fan sent it to him in the mail. The Frog Brigade section is definately my favorite. A lot of the disc is hard to enjoy the first time through, and I'm guessing most wouldn't enjoy a lot of it anyways, but the more I watch of the DVD, the more I like it.

4. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    A friend of mine played me a couple sections of the DVD and I have to say, I preferred what I heard of C2B3 live then the CD. I was expecting the CD to sound like a more abstract Praxis but it didn't seem to anything like that...

5. That is what I heard as well, I have only seen one other person playing one, and that was bucketheads touring bassist that 1 guy. No it wasn't claypool, it was that 1 guy.

lowsound

6. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    i read somewhere in a claypool interview that a couple of fans showed up at his hotel room at 3 am and gave him the whamola. looks like it'd be a blast to play one

7. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm a huge Claypool fan. Huge. Seen him live several times, as well as Primus, and I own everything he's put out. With that said, I thought 5 Gallons of Diesel was very disappointing. I wish he would put out one DVD of Frog Brigade or Oysterhead as opposed to short clips from each. But still, decent dvd.

That 1 Guy plays his Magic Pipe, not a Whamola. I saw That 1 Guy open for Buckethead, and he was far more entertaining.

8. TOMANO

TOMANO

Oct 31, 2006
    I like that DVD, but, I too wish there was much more of the Frog Brigade and Oysterhead. I also wish the documentary style was more in-depth instead of just showing people attempting to be witty, smoking dope and making faces. I think Les' creative process would be a fascinating subject to learn about. I did, however, enjoy the lengthy fly fishing segments.

BTW, I'm goin' to see Primus this Friday in Chicago.

TOMANO

9. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    The fly fishing was the only reason I got the dvd. Best part IMO.