Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 hardest

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Dec 20, 2000.

1. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    What do you think are the 5 hardest chili peppers songs to play? And why?

2. i dont really listen to RHCP a bunch but i always thought the song knock me down must be really hard to play

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The ones I consider difficult:

"Nobody Weird Like Me" (maintaining the speed and rhythmic accuracy of this line is difficult);

"Parallel Universe" (same reason; also, some degree of stamina is required to play nonstop straight sixteenths for five minutes);

"Subway to Venus" (lots of syncopation, and the bass has to sync perfectly with the horns in order for this to sound good.)

4. pinkfloyd16

pinkfloyd16

Oct 25, 2000
    i would just like to say that one of the hardest chili peppers songs is nobody wierd like me and instrumental on their scar tissue album
    but also someone else said that parallel universe was hard to play because of the 16th notes for 5 min just to let you in on something flea used a pick on that song i saw him in concert with picks but i wasnt replying to that i was replying that the song paralell universe did seem very hard at first but practice it a bit cause that song is easy as hell and yeah i can play the whole song with fill ins(i love adding fill ins to chili pepper songs) for a full 5 minutes or however long it is
    i am better than flea he had to use a pick and i didnt -nah just kidding

sorry about the spelling

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Parallel Universe is a VERY VERY easy song.. I thoguht it was a VERY VERY easy song.. i learned it much easlier than Californication lol :D Yup you do need a pick to play that song.. and if you listen to the sound in the song CAREFULLY the bridge part.. you can basically hear the strings getting hit by a pick hehe ;D I think there are alot of hard songs by RHCP.. Around the World is an alrite song.. it not that hard doh but pretty hard.. Try "Love Trilogy" and tell me if you can play that Slap/Plucking part, its only like 30seconds long but VERY VERY hard to play :D

DM

6. Basically any song where flea slaps at 1,000,000 mph! I'm sure with practice I could slap that fast but it will be a while...

Slapping aside the slides in 'Purple Stain' gave me some grief. The 16ths in Parallel universe are not technically difficult but my hand hurt afterwards! I've found that Flea's strength isn't speed but feel and creativity, something I believe he has more of than many virtousos out there.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    black-eyed blonde offa freaky stylie was always a fun tune to play. back in the day when i played other people's music. 10 years ago or so.

ah, reminiscing :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The verses on Aeroplane are a good place to hone your slapping technique.

Just for fun, try slap/popping octaves for every note on the walk down from D to C, and throw in some double stops here and there on the G string pops.

Now, bring it up to full live concert speed, and you just added some cool syncopation to your slap repertoire!