Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 inline vs. regular 5 String Peghead???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 11, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

whats the diff in high G strings, if i go with either a regular 5 string peghead like this one: [​IMG]

or if i go with something like this 5 inline??? [​IMG]

On a 35" scale, is the G too tight on this setup? or does it matter, and am i just being mental??? :D

2. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    If you go inline you'll need to strech out more to tune the g. Can't see how it could affect the tone.

3. Joecamel

Joecamel

Jun 10, 2002
    saint james ny
    i like the way the string sits on the bottom easier to restring and it looks cooler

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Inline makes for a larger headstock, which can lead to problems, especially with Fender-style ones.
    Deadspots, buzzing at the nut, weak low B, neckdive, etc.

I've found that smaller (and tilted) headstocks work better and improve sound and balance.

If I were you I'd go the 3+2 route.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there's no change in tone or feel or anything...

but some G's may not be long enough to get a decent amount of winding on the post.

i'd go with the 3+2 as well.

6. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    the 4+1 thing...it just looks strange to me.

-pd

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, me too...

but the 4+1 is starting to grow on me now. especially since Tommy at USA Custom is willing to shave it down a bit to make it sleeker looking.

thanks for all the input, doods! :D

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i like the 3+2 and 4+1 mucho better than the five in line.. i cant really think of any advantage the in line would have over the others.. unless you were building a fender 5 clone.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I think the 4+1 on my Fender RB5 looks more Fender-y than 5-inline, even on Fenders. Then again, I played MusicMans for many years, so the lone tuner on the bottom doesn't bother me at all.

Also, five tuners in a row is a bit cramped; a bit more difficult to tune.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, FYI, the only reason i wanted a 5 inline in the first place is because of Tom Barney's ESP jbass i saw in all those Aguilar ads. it just looked so cool to me. so i thought why not try a tele headstock instead with the 5 inline.

but after much thought, i think i'm gonna go with the 4+1, and have tommy shave it a bit to make it sleeker, cause they can look a little bulky to me.

[​IMG]

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cool. The only thing I have a problem with is headless... makes me want to put on a sports jacket and roll up the sleeves;)

I have 5, 4+1 and 3+2... they all look okay to me.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ever since that failed sliding descent to a B flat resulted in a dislocated shoulder, I stay away from a headless :D

Chas

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    *picturing Chass falling down after losing his balance going past the Bb.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I never thought I would laugh out loud while reading a TB post. My girlfriend's already making fun of me. "Geez, you know you're a geek when..."

15. I personally dont like 5 in line pegheads, I like how 3 + 2 or 4 + 1 look better than 5 + 0 and they feel more confortable to me.

But the position of the tuning heads in the headstock shouldn´t affect the tightness of the strings..

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    You may want to tell that to Fodera;)

17. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I think Mr. Ed is starting to attract flies. Anyone got a club or other suitable flogging device?

Where's pd when you need 'im? :D :eek: :)