Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 k minimum for starting carved bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Libersolis, May 3, 2005.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Sorry could find it on search... Should I expect to pay around 5k minimum for a starting carved.. Im only 24 and in music school so as you can imagine I usually make my money waiting tables and various gigs so 5 k is a bit much...Is there anything of good quality for lesser value? I think one of the problems for me buying a bass is that they seem to appreciate in value as time goes on, countering what usually is the case in our society.. :meh:

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I would suggest a Carved Willow Shen. Good bang for the buck.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    $5k is the general starting area for the low end of new carved basses. You can also do what Ed KungFuqua recommends and tell everybody, and I mean everybody, and their sister, that you are looking for a bass. Good deals pop out of the woodwork (or attic) that way.
    G/L!
    John

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Not only that, but with the US$ getting weaker and prices going up basses aren't getting any cheaper. The "starter" model carved bass that I got 15 years ago for $3k shipped to my door with a great padded bag, decent set-up, etc. would easily run around $6-$8k today. I don't think MY bass has gotten that much better but the dollar and the market drive the prices, not always the quality of the instruments.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You can't count on foreign currency exchanges for anything other than temporary price differences: down today and up tomorrow.

There's a bass in the classified right here at TB that looks like a good deal. It'd be worth checking out, anyhow.