Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 more years of my life....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John Deppel, May 25, 2005.

1. Well, I just signed another 5 years of my life away to the Coast Guard. :bawl:

Now at the end of this enlistment, I will be 3 months short of the halfway mark to retirement.

Big perk of the event: $10,000 re-enlistment bonus :D :hyper:

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    10 Grand is at least two Sadowsky Basses, Congratulations! And I sincerely thank you for your service!

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    +1

Do you get the $10k up front or is it $5k upfront and the rest spread out over the next several years? Does Uncle Sam get his cut of that money?

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    And it might still leave enough for Mr. Deppel to get a Sadowsky for me! :hyper: :help:

5. Thanks for your service to our country. It's gone up a bunch from when I was in the Army. 'Course back then we had to buy our own musket balls & feed for the horses. :p

6. 10 grand - that's about half of what I pay my gardener.

(Mike is manufacturing fraudulent tales again) :D

Do you have any idea where you might be stationed next?

And thank you from me too for your service to the U.S. ;)

Mike

7. I get 5k upfront, and the other 5k is spread out over the next year. Sadly, it's taxed at about 23% I think. So I'll end up with 8-9k to take home.

I'm transferring to Seattle next month. I leave Kodiak the night of 22 June, and report to my new unit on 25 July.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    John, thank you and your compatriots for your vastly underappreciated contribution to the safety and security of our homes.

(And congrats on the $10K re-up bump! :ninja:....you look like someone that needs a new Roscoe bass! ;) )

9. Actually, most of it is going to a down payment on a "family vehicle" for my wife and I. A pickup truck isn't really cutting it anymore with the baby.

The left over amount will, however, be going to a Sadowsky. ;)

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Thank you for your service. I'm glad there are people out there who do what you do for living.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, congrats, bro! i hit my halfway mark in about a month and a half-in the navy...missile technician first class (submarines)...i gotta say, though...you coasties got a cool gig...keep pluggin, man...take care...and be safe! seattle is a cool spot, btw...i just recently left bangor submarine base across the puget sound from there...remember bass northwest on yesler way ;)

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    you :bassist:

13. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Congrats on your reup. Nice bonus, too.

My father in law did 29.5 years in the USCG, retired as a CWO4, loved it.

I've done 17.5 in the Army so far, and have 2.5 to go. I have 17 basses now, so ... let me see ... I can get 2.5 more, right? :bassist:

Again, thanks for everything you do everyday,

Semper Paratus,

Alan

Army Veteran (and still serving)

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Thank you and all your Coast Guard compatriots. My brother-in-law works on fishing boats in AK and is full of tales of Coasties helping out his crewmates or other boats in the fleet. You do a vital service to every citizen of this country and are seldom given the praise you deserve.

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ah, how I miss Puget Sound... thanks to you and all the others who are serving our country!

16. SEPMER PARATUS

17. Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

18. Man, if they'd invented these "re-enlistment options" things while I was in, I'd still be there. :meh:

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

John

Thank you for your commitment to serve , all the best. :)

20. Thank you for your service! We all really appreciate it!

10k... hmm... you could buy 10,000 packs of gum... then make a big wad.. and ride it around the ocean..