1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 or 6 String Bass for high soloing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslifter, Mar 27, 2015.

1. I currently play with a band that does some Latin Jazz. Some songs require me to do some soloing high up the neck. My go-to bass is my G&L L2500 Trib and it does a great job except that sometimes the higher frets are just a little bit difficult to access. Do I need to look for a 24 fret bass? Ibanez comes to mind in that area. Others? Do I need to look for a 6 string bass? I have little girl hands though....Anyone one else deal with this?
    Open for suggestions under 1K
    Thanks!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    More frets does not necessarily mean better fret access, so you'll still need to look at how to heel and lower bout are carved even on a 24 fret bass. 6-strings and small hands are not incompatible- you just need to look for one with the right scale length, string spacing, and nut width that fits you best. All the little measurements become more and more important the more strings you add. You may want to look at the Ibanez Soundgear line as they have tighter specs and fit within your price range, and pretty easy access to the 24th fret.

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    A two octave neck will certainly provide better access to the upper end of the board. Depending on your B string usage, you could restring E-C, and, if needed, swap in a D extension.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'd suggest Ibanez Gerald Veasley 36 (made in Indonesia) bass
    Originally an Sr kind of 6er, it retains Bartolini mk1 passive soapbars and active three band electronics (except for midrange selector not bein' a switch but a push - 250hz - pull - 600hz - boost/cut control) and adds a wider headstock, alder body with thick flame maple top and three laminate dual trussrod maple neck and, to your likings, a thinner 14mm stringspacin' with monorail IV separate minibridges

I got one: it has a really bright tone to it but fit and finish is top notch

Cheers,
    Wallace

ps: correctly fittin' your budget

5. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    My latest experiment is my Ibanez AGB 205 short scale 5 strung E-C. Haven't done much exploring yet but it's my first high strung bass. It plays and sounds great, that's it so far. Maybe a possibility for you. ( I too have small hands with short fingers )

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I like 24 fret B-G 5ers. I rarely play past the 21st fret but access to 17-21 is important to me as I play there a lot.