1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 or 6 string???

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by iwearpumas, Mar 2, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Greetings Mr. Wellington. First I want to thank you for your willingness to be on this forum. You really have been a major help to me and others on this forum. I have a 5 string, a 6 string, and another 5 string on order. I am about to order a Fodera and I am really indecisive about getting another 5 string or 6 string. I am big into slapping in my style of playing, and I find that the C string really gets in the way of that. I want my Fodera to have an awesome slap tone so I can slap on it, but I sorta want to go all out when I order it. At the same time, I don't want a bass which I am not 100% comfortable with, which is why the 5 string is ideal. I sorta thought that I could play a 6 string the same way I play a 5 string, but it just isn't working out for me as I thought it would. I noticed that the 6 string is just a DIFFERENT instrument. I recall you said that the 5 string was your main voice. I just want to be able to be very comfortable on my bass, and not strained, especially for the price of a Fodera.

2. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Or with practice the 6 string will be more natural to play?

3. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    You have already expressed 'my' reply to your question perfectly. You've explained exactly why I don't play 6(or 4) string basses as my main instrument.

I don't want to decide for you but you sound like a 5 string player to me.

I own 4, 5, 6, 7, fretted and fretless basses. I like playing them all but the 5 string electric bass guitar is my voice.

I think you you should by a Fodera 5 and then a mid-level 6 string to get proficient on.

peace,
    anthony

4. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Thanks Ant, this dilemma rough, but I was knew that you had the right answer, and your experience would help.

5. iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I had my 6 string bass since December 2012, and I don't think it has left my home more than 10 times. I realize that while it looks and sounds amazing, I just don't have a use for it. Now, I am in the process of selling it, but part of me deep down doesn't want to get rid of it. I want to keep it as a tool in my arsenal, but I know that it won't get much of any true playing time. Nothing more than a practice bass. I am truly a 5 string player.

Also, I just don't feel right playing on the C string. I feel that I don't belong that high on the register. Once I start playing the high notes, i feel that the bottom and the groove of the song is lost, and i am out of my place. I don't know players that play on the high part of the neck, but for me, its not the way I want to go.

6. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    That's exactly how I feel!!! I'm a 5 string player. But I do like to practice on the 4, 6, 7, fretless and uptight basses. I also like practice keyboards and guitar too.

But I agree with you. For me, more times than not, the C string is I the way.

I rarely hare a player with a high C instead of a low B and I like their bass playing. Most of the time I hear playing really good baritone guitar.

peace,
    anthony