Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 Pots With a Passive P/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MonkeyWrench32, Mar 3, 2004.

1. I'm not too crazy about the pickups or the electronics in my Peavey Grind BXP 4 (not the NTB version), so I'd like to do some replacement work. I don't have a whole lot to spend, so I was thinking about just replacing the pickups and going from there. I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the stock preamp, so I don't know how I'd be able to wire in new pickups.

I'm exploring all of my options here, so I thought about just getting a nice passive pickup set and yanking out the electronics. The problem here is that I don't know how I'd find a use for five pots. Here's what I came up with so far:

Jazz volume
    Jazz tone
    Precision volume
    Precision tone

What could I do for the 5th one? I don't want to have a pot there just for looks. :)

2. I did a little searching and I could put in a kill switch for the 5th. Unfortunately, if I put in a push/pull switch pot, rotating it won't do a thing.

Any other ideas? Anyone? Bueller? :D

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You say that like it's a bad thing :)

SMASH did something like that with the jazz bass he wired up with two concentric v/t pots. The third pot was a dummy pot that engaged series/parallel and did nothing else.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, if you want to keep the active electronics, then just remove the wires from the old pickups and remember where they go. Otherwise just put a momentary push switch in there.

5. David, good point. I've seen you draw up some nice custom schematics for others. If I put up a list (and even draw a base), can you connect the wires for me?

tmo, that is another possibility. Only thing is that I'm worried if the wires are different than the stock Peavey pickups and I'll fry something by hooking it up wrong.

I do have experience with soldering and reading schematics, for the record. :)

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sure, although I do owe NJL one as well so I need to get that one done first.

7. Thanks! You can go ahead and get that other one done first as I have to still draw up the base. :)

8. OK, got it done. Here's what I'd like:

Pickups:
    - DiMarzio Model P/J Set (DP126)

Pots:
    - Precision Volume (PV): Push/Pull wired series default, parallel activated
    - Precision Tone (PT)
    - Jazz Volume (JT): Push/Pull wired for both pickups parallel default, series activated
    - Jazz Tone (JT)
    - Kill Switch (KS)

Please label the pot values and capacitor values (and where they should go). If you have any questions, just ask. :)

I'm in no rush here, so do it whenever you have time.

Thanks in advance! :bassist:

(I zipped up the gif file so I could attach it in a larger size)

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I've got that same pup setup in a bass and can't shut those pups up for nothing. I've shielded the control cavity, ran a copper strip to the back of the pups and grounded it. I've stuck those pups in another bass and got the same racket. Put other pups in the original harness and dead quiet - so I know it's the pups and the pups test fine. Not a bad sound, but quiet they ain't!

10. Really? That's no good.

I'm switching to my close second choice then, the DiMarzio Model P/J Set (DP126). I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with these, as I've seen some good reviews and I liked the tone in the sound clips that I heard.

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'd suggest a seperate post and get some other peoples experiences with that combination before making a decision. Mine may be an isolated incident. I say that because the pups do have a decent sound.

To give you an idea, the bass came with an Aggie OBP 1 preamp. I assumed most the sound was from the Aggie. I pulled that preamp out and made an outboard out of it and just left the basslines in running them passive. Well most of that fat sound was definitely coming from the basslines. I've run other basses through the outboard Aggie and it really is not impressive.

The basslines don't make any more noise than single coils but they aren't quiet and, unless mine are an exception, I just wanted you to be aware of that.

Never ran dimarzios but I'll get around to it eventually.

12. That's a really good idea. I'm going to post a new thread in a minute.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Higgy,

Did you get anywhere with this, so far? Which pups did you wind up going with & how do you like 'em...

I wanted to provide some insight to possible 5-knob configs...

My 55-01 has 5 pots... Vol, Blend, Treb, Mid, Bass... push/pull on/off, on the pre-amp... I've grown really used to this setup, & hope to emulate it in future builds.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A parallel/series switch would be nice.
    You usually get interesting results with PJ setup.