5 questions to be answered honestly

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tyler_The_Hate, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
    1) how many bassists have married or banged supermodels?

2) how many people have you EVER seen "air bass"?

3) why does rock n roll have a guitar solo in EVERY song but 1 in a 100 has a bass solo?

4) why no matter how many of these SUPER bassists that are interveiwed and mentioned on this site, not one are media noticed? (mtv,vh1)

5) why is every band always looking for a bassist?

and dont say "your in it for the wrong reasons" im tired of that crap. everyone in a band wants that praise and adoration after they play. not to be ignored and considered irrelevant.

ask anyone who gene simmons is? (i will garuntee they will say the singer form kiss)

actually one question off the topic. how long does anyone here think it will take me to pick up lead guitar status with determination and lessons form a former good bassist and decent rythm guitar experiance?

i watched VH1's top rock bands last night and they mentioned one bassist (jack bruce from cream and he was only mentioned by another bassist) and then every guitarist, singer and drummer in every band around that.
  2. 1. No clue
    2. one, me.
    3. guitar's tone is more easily heard? I don't know. There's been times when trying to point out a cool bass line or solo to someone, they'll say the don't hear it.... :rolleyes:
    4. Depends on what "media noticed" means. I've seen features on Cliff or Flea, but that's usually when doing a band profile. So for the most part I guess not.
    5. Not sure, but good for me/us. When I chose bass, a guitar shop owner said, "a bass player will always find work." For me, it matches my personality - underdog, team player. I played O-Line in football; as long as I was doing my job nobody noticed. Allow a sack (hit a bad note) BAM your spotlighted.

I love playing bass and take pride in saying I do. The mere fact that bass is such a strange choice to some is attention in itself. As a younger player, I overplayed and tried to be a guitar player. I'm in it for me now - to be good.

LOL! As I was reading this, I turned to my wife and asked her about Gene Simmons, "yeah, he's the singer from KISS" :crying:
    I have no answer on your lead guitar question.

Pretty cool questions.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1) how many bassists have married or banged supermodels?

stupidest question ever. *I* live with the girl of my dreams and my best friend... I feel sorry for anyone with less.

2) how many people have you EVER seen "air bass"?

Playing gigs I've seen MANY people sober or otherwise "air bass" along with me

3) why does rock n roll have a guitar solo in EVERY song but 1 in a 100 has a bass solo?

solos for the sake of a solo are boring. I hear plenty of interesting lines that step out front but within songs.... maybe because a true bassist is secure enough in his "space" and "being" to not be an egomaniac

4) why no matter how many of these SUPER bassists that are interveiwed and mentioned on this site, not one are media noticed? (mtv,vh1)

I thought mtv and vh1 turned into "reality TV" channels? Do they even still play music? anyway, once again... true bassist = not egomaniac. Sure press is nice, but pop music is centered on song and singer.... fact of life.

5) why is every band always looking for a bassist?

WHERE!?! I'm looking for the right gig myself
  4. 1) How many bassists have married or banged supermodels?

Uh... Gene Simmons...

2) How many people have you EVER seen "air bass"?

I've seen other bassist do it with me, but the girls like to touch it...

3) Why does rock n roll have a guitar solo in EVERY song but 1 in a 100 has a bass solo?

Becuase the bass is holding down the groove with the drummer...

4) Why no matter how many of these SUPER bassists that are interveiwed and mentioned on this site, not one are media noticed? (mtv,vh1)

VH1 has things on Cliff. But, unless it's a "Behind the Music" Then no... and MTV doesn't play music.

5) Why is every band always looking for a bassist?

Most people pick guitar becuase they want to bang a supermodel... :smug:

5. Why these questions? it sounds like you care more about what other people think.
    If playing bass does not make you feel good than you should be doing something else.
    If being famous and banging super models is a goal in your life, become an actor.
    If you are more interested in being famous please do the rest of us a favor and do not play music at all.
    You are in it for the wrong reason. IMO
    Simply because you used the word "praised" I don't want to be worshiped. Recognized maybe, not praised. Adored? Hardly. :D You rock stars crack me up :D
  6. One of the best things in life is just laying down a groove with the drummer and seeing the peoples' heads bobbing to it. :smug:
  7. 1-Probably a few, but I can't be sure.

2-A lot of my friends have done it at least a few times, so I'll say 10 easily

3-Because its rock n roll. Thats just the way the genre was developed, around a guitar.

4-Because the general *media watching* public don't care (most people who watch MTV wouldn't know talent if Jaco himself came back to life and played Cromatic Fantasy with their heads duct taped to the amp)

5-For some reason a good bassist is hard to find. But I myself know 7 bass players in my town alone, so I don't know what all the fuss is aboot.
  8. Well, in Jazz there are very very many trios that don't even have a guitarist... and basssolo in every song.
  9. Chunk-O-Funk:

Well said.

Couldn't have put it better. ;)
  10. Since he mentioned super models in the first question, I believe Adam Clayton from U2 was actually engaged to a super model at one point (can't remember her name though).
  11. Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    Well, either the instrument comes to you and you love it or you go to the instrument and hate it. I don't care if I ever marry a supermodel, get a bass solo, become famous, etc., I just care about playing the instrument. Just as long as I don't have to thump one note throughout the song.
  12. Well no 1 - Sting did but it got him into trouble (can't remember her name)

No 2 - dunno

No 3 - because the bass is there to lay the rythym down not to be a lead instrument. And when the band have run out of ideas for their album. "Hey, give us something funky Mr Bassman!!"

No 4 - see no 3. Tis the bassmans lot to be standing in the shadows holding it all together.

No 5 - because everyone wants to play guitar. Or sing.

Sorry pal but you sound like you're playing the wrong instrument. Me I wouldn't swap that wonderful bass sound for anything else.
  13. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Michael Anthony? No, he married his girlfriend in 1981. Do you really want to bang a supermodel? Are you in to self-absorbtion?

Try playing "These Boots are Made for Walking" or "Fever" in a country bar and see.

Nothing clears the floor faster than a bass solo.

Ray Browne had a PBS special.

'Cause their bassist sucks.
  14. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Cant say thats true about the bass solo clearing the floor, a nicely fitted bass solo is awsome, everybody has differant ways in which they play bass and how they imagine bass to be, some solos, some grooves, some both, some everything, some nothing
  15. Tyler_The_Hate

Apr 9, 2005
  16. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    1. Nikki Sixx (however that's spelled)

2. Everytime "Blister in the Sun" is played

3. Don't know, but I believe that most tunes are hits because of a memorable bass part. People just don't realize they are wigglin' their booty because of the bassist.

4. Many bassists that I know don't have that in-your-face attitude that attracts a lot of attention. The bassists I know tend to be laid-back groovy cats.

5. There probably aren't that many good ones. I'm sure a lot of people play bass, but how many of them are musicians?
  17. If you don't love what you're doing, then do something else. :smug:
  18. Enzora

Aug 13, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    1. Who cares?

2. They may be moving their fingers to the guitar, but we know what they're moving their butts to. :smug:

3. Agreed with Bassist4Life--a great bassline is almost always more memorable than a lead solo.

4. Didn't question 3 kind of answer this one?

5. Dunno, but I know a LOT more people who play guitar than who play bass.

Oh, and hi, I'm new here! :D
  19. I swear to God I must have stared at your last post for more than five minutes trying to figure out how to respond to this. I really do not know where to begin. I wasn't even going to reply.

You simply don't get it. To a bassist the groove IS everything and doing a solo is just something extra we get to do. When a bassist is laying down his best groove in any kind of music it is like a solo the bassist, a solo that last the whole song. That's what it feels like. If you don't feel that then the bass is not for you. If you don't feel like that, then I am sure the band you are in deserves a better bassist and you should switch to guitar.

So..... you simply are not a bassist. Why are you trying to justify it.

BTW a contradiction of yours:
    Why would you go back to doing something you don't like to do? Just to be in a band.

I really can't go on. If I scratch my head one more time I will be scared for life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.