1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 space rack for a 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mactac, Mar 22, 2006.

1. i'd like to add a compressor in the fx loop of my mesa 400+, so I need to find a case to fit the amp & compressor

I looked around & all i could find were 4 & 6 space cases. has anyone ever seen a 5 space skb-style case? I'm trying to avaoid having the blank space in there, it's big & bulky enough as it is!

thanks

2. SKB dont do them, and ive not seen many other plastic case makers using them either, you can easily get them with good old wook/metal cases tho, which im doing for my SVT soon, was taking into account both, and the SKB would be fine im betting, but will feel soo much more secure with the wood/metal one

One thing to take into account is the heat your 400+ will make, maybe it would be a good thing to have a space between it and the compressor?

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Cases?sku=544590

SKB rolling roto rack in 3, 4, 5, and 6 spaces . . . . I have mine in a 4 space, and it is nice - especially the wheels. I did add a small inlet fan to the case so that the heat does not build up inside, but I don't think that is mandatory . . . .

Oh, and on the heat thing, it would depend on how deep your compressor is. The 400+ is pretty deep, and almost all the heat (power tubes) and vents are in the back - the cover is solid in the front. If your compressor does not cover the vents, I think you would be find without the extra space, especially with the fan in the 400+ and an aux rack fan . . .

- Tim

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    What ever case you get, make sure your rack case doesn't block, the fan or the vent across from the fan. Some poeple drill holes, in the sides of there rack cases for use with this amp. When ya go shopping, you might wanna drag yr head along, and see if the vents will be blocked, and (or) if anything important is in the way of drilling vent holes. (handles-internal bracing-anything else). My 400+ lives in a mesa sus4 shock rack. This rack is 24 inches wide, the amp has lots of room to breath, This case has an extra, 1 rack space of room, on top and bottom of the amp, that could be used for 2, (1 space) devices. This case weighs a ton, (40lbs) but, "like the amp", Its worth it

5. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    ive got mine in a 8 space shockmount road ready case with a whole bunch of other stuff, hello 1 million pound amp case....

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Dam, never seen one, I wonder if It might be easier, to put your 8x10, on top of that bad boy.(just kidding) I'm working on a dolly, to roll my 4 space (r-r) shock case, "on its side". With some tall casters, I'll be able to grab the handle and walk it, like a dog.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno, I like having a vent space in there, like this.

8. I had the same thing. tuner, compressor, wireless, power strip.
    as soon as I stopped playing large venues, I lost all that **** like a bad habit.

I went to a bassis m2000 (2 space, compressor built in) w/a tuner and the strip. So much easier to manage the sus4 - 4 spacer.

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I measured my 5 space Anvil and Mesa 400+. This pairing, gives less than 3/4 inch side venting, This case, could be drilled for vents, but, the "vent area" is half handle, and half side pannel.

10. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    i hardly could imagine better compressor than tube amp

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I second that emotion

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I second the original and the Dead reference.

If I were you, I'd get a 6-space and put a vent space on top of the Mesa. Tubes can get hot, and an extra 1.75" isn't going to kill you.

13. I agree that tubes compress very well, but sometimes I find myself wanting even more compression. I will probabally get a compressor sometime to go with my 400+, as the compression on my GT-6B is more of an effect than a tonal element.

14. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have had no problem with my 400+ in a 4 space Gator rack case(lightest I could find) and holds drilled on each side under the handle grips for ventilation. Ran it loud for five hours non-stop ;ast Saurday with no heating problems - just remember the fan is on the side.