5 string 35" scale string through bridge...what strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by King David, Feb 13, 2003.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Ok, since no one has responded to my last post, I thought I would make it a little easier.

I am looing for strings for a 5 string, 35" scale, string through bridge.

Most places that advertise online do not include the information on the scale or whether they will work to string through.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    DR, among others, are long enough. Extra long D'Addario XL's, GHS Super Steel Quantums, etc. Go to juststrings.com to browse what's generally available.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Are they for your Mexican Jazz???

If so, it's not so much the scale, it's the long stretch to those tuning posts for your D & G strings.

DR is one pro quality string that gives you plenty of length.
  4. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    No, this is not for my MIM Fender Jazz. I am pretty close to getting a Lakland 55-02. It is the 35" scale and has a string through bridge.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have a 55-02, as well. DR's have more than enough length and I like them far better than the Lakland strings which are actually GHS strings under the "Lakland" label.

I tried Pedullas too, but they are actually GHS's too. Not bad, just not as good as DR's.
  6. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I heard once that the tighness of the low B can affected not only by the guitar, but also the string. I had read once that there was a review somewhere where it listed the tension of the strings. I saw some listings at www.juststrings.com, but it wasn't on enough sets to really compare well. Any thoughts?
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just went through this looking for strings that would fit my 36" scale, 6 string Fodera. I strung that bass with Elixer extra longs and they worked great. I got the first set at a real decent price but now it looks like if I want another set I'm going to have to come up with some BIG BUCKS.

I also found that Ken Smith, La Bella and as Rickbass mentioned, Lakland sell extra long strings that should work for you. I've never bought a set of GHS strings but I did like the sound of the Lakland nickels on my D55.

The only way that I could get DR's that would fit would be to order a set with single strings. I've just never had any decent luck with this as usually the single strings sound different than the set sounds.