5 string action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by astar, Sep 6, 2004.

1. astar

Jun 10, 2004
    I have played a Ric 4003 for years. I'm a newbie to setup because I've never had to really tweak the Ric. I'd just string it and it would play beautifully. I recently purchased a 5 string Peavey Grind. I chose it because for the money, this one happened to be well constructed and it played very well and fast. The only complaint I have is being able to get the action adjusted low enough. I prefer to have the lowest action possible. The strings almost touch the frets on the Ric with no problem of buzz anywhere along the neck. I've tried to lower the action on the Grind, but the saddles bottom out before I even get close to where I want it. I'm thinking of grinding off the bottom of the saddles slightly to attempt to get the action lower, but I'm already getting buzz mostly on the B,E,A strings in the middle of the neck. The action also gets higher closer to the bridge. Would a lighter gauge of string help with the buzz as I adjust the action lower? I'd love to hear any ideas.
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have exactly the same problem with my Corvette, I'd like to see this question answered too :)
  3. You didn't say if it's a Grind 5 BXP (neckthru) or the bolt on. The solution will be different in each case. Lemme know. I've got a BXP 5 that I can use for reference if that's what we're talking about.
  4. astar

Jun 10, 2004
    It is the BXP (neckthru).
  5. kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    You could try loosening the rod a bit to give you, say 1/16" of relief at 7th fret (measure the distance between fret-top and string as you´re holding the string down at 1st and last frets).

Then adjust the bridge saddles to suit your needs. If they can´t be set low enough, I´m afraid you need to shave some metal off... Sounds like a neck-tilt problem though...

Also, try experimenting with tighter (thicker core) strings of your preferred gauge. Lighter gauge means generally more string movement a.k.a fret buzz... Also, you might need to check how hard you play...
  6. astar

Jun 10, 2004
    "Sounds like a neck-tilt problem though.."

How would one go about fixing a neck-tilt problem?