1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5-String Active, Acoustic / Pop Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MothBox, Oct 8, 2013.

1. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    I'm currently playing an Ibanez BTB405 (active, 5-string) and initially stuck with the Elixers for the first few years as they came with it - .45 - .130, but recently started using Ernie Ball coated roundwounds, same gauge, and like them a lot more than the Elixers as the webbing doesn't seem to fray as much.

But, the high end is a little metallic. I want to get away from webbed strings, although I like the feel of them I am wondering if they compromise the sound somewhat. And since starting to play more acoustic / pop style music the bass comes through a lot more in songs and the upper frets have become a lot more useful.

Any suggestions? I play Chromes on my P-Bass but it doesn't offer the upper range comfortable unlike the BTB so I'm sticking with the Ibanez for this stuff.

I use the whole fret board for these songs so I can't have a dud lower end with a wicked sounding higher. Needs to be all round good, and the Ernies only really do it for the lower end in my opinion.