1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turnuptheBASS, Apr 9, 2006.

1. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    I am interested in trying out 5 strings. I have never played them before and I am considering either purchasing a USED Peavey Foundation or spending a little bit more and maybe getting a tribute L2500. I just want to practice with these and see if I like the "5"...but that doesnt mean that I dont want the bass to sound good. I played the Peavey and sounded okay, seemed like someone shimmed the neck and had pretty narrow string spacing (I compared it to a spector they had lying around) Havent played a L2500 people here seemed to like it.

What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? Comments?

Thanks to those who can reply. Much appreciated.:bassist:

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You could also try a Lakland 55-01. They have wider necks.
    Then there is the usual Music Man StingRay5, Fender Roscoe Beck 5, Peavey Cirrus 5, just to name a few. All good basses.

3. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    I haven't played the Peavey, but I have played the Tribute and I'm now playing an Ibanez BTB405. The Tribute was a good bass for the money, but I prefer the sound and the feel of the neck (and the 35" scale) of the BTB.

Good luck with your search!

~John

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I recommend against getting a peavey Foundation five string. They have strings much too close together. If you find a used peavey Millennium V (USA made) you may never need another bass again. The same would be true for an old TL-5.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Musicman SR5 has relatively close spacing. It is NOT spaced like 4 string musicman basses.

Just fyi

6. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    I have an Ibanez BTB 405 as well. I also have an Ibanez SRX300 - 4 string. Personally I like both but for different aspects. I do not use one more than the other, though I did when I first bought it of course. I do like the wide neck and wide spacing on the BTB405 bass though it takes some getting used to. It slows you down a bit and at first you'll fumble around, but once you get used to it, like say about a month or so in depending on how much you play, then you will get into it. The 5-string was much harder to play at first but now its about the same for me. Though I'm still much faster playing on my four string. I've had my 5-string for only two months though so I don't have a long history with it yet. Its great having it though--each has its own place and I always take both with me when I'm out practicing with my band.

- David

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    An SR5 is way more comfortable to me than a Peavey Foundation 5. The Peavey felt almost like a regular guitar to me.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SR5s are very comfy :)

9. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.

What is a TL-5

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The TL-5 is old neck through model Peavey made in the late 1980's and early 1990s, I think.

11. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    So peavey(used) 5 strings are the way to go? at least to start off on?

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm not so sure about that. Even top of the line TL-5 models that Peavey once made (beautiful quilt tops, flexible electronics, multi-laminate neck-thru bodies, etc.) have tight string spacing and floppy sounding and feeling low B strings by today's standards. Its hard to believe but even some of the most basic Korean imported budget basses today have better low Bs than some high-end domestic bases made 15+ years ago. Its not that the quality of, say, the old Peavey TLs are poor; far from it, they're beautiful. Its technology. Builders have a better handle on the physics of extended range basses now and can produce them more consistently and cheaply. If you want to search out a used Peavey 5, be sure that its more current like the discontinued domestic Millennium 5s. These are very nice bases and I have seen some 4-string models that were surprisingly cheap! You may have to be patient seeking out a good 5 but who knows, you could get lucky. A few years back I tried a black tinted, quilt top Millennium 5 with J and MM pickups; wow! Awesome bass. But it was brand new at the time and a little over a grand. These days, you may be able to score a gem like that for half that much if yr lucky.

I'd pass on the Foundation because the string spacing is too snug (for my taste anyway) and it’s tonally limited much unlike the TL-5. In fact you could say the Foundation 5 has all the disadvantages of the TL-5 but none of the perks. The best new 5 string bang for buck deals going right now is likely the G&L Tribute L2500, The Bass Company (TBC) any 5 string model, and Ibanez SR505. There are cheaper models, there are fancier models. However given their components, those three really impress me the most. I know some others have recommended Laklands and the like which are excellent basses but they seemed to have overlooked that you not out to blow that kind of money at this time.

Good luck.

r

13. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    i agree with the comments about the low B. some basses just dont have a lot of attack on the low B string and so they come out a sounding a little weak

i have an 5 string ESP and although the low B isnt the punchiest sound, the tone is still nice and the finger spacings is comfortable for me. its more like a 4 string neck width with 5 strings

it also depends on how much you are going to use the low B, and what for. the biggest decision should be about comfort and if the tone suits you then all is good

14. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.

Yea, I dont want to spend too much on a 5 string at the moment( I do plan on spending some $$ later if I happen to like it) I will look into the tribute, I think I read somewhere that they had a good B string...