5 string advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnm0187, Dec 3, 2003.

1. I am looking into a 5 string(maybe 6) for a Christmas present to myself. The most I'll pay is a little less then $700. I have been looking into many options. I have played a lot of nice Yamahas below my budget such as the BB605. I played the Ibanez BTB405 and 406 and it was nice. I have note gotten to play a Lakland but i have heard great things about them.

I would prefer the bass to be active with a 35' scale but my mind could always change.

Thanks for any help

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Take a look at the Ibanez SRX505 i think it is?
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I'd step up just a hair and look at a Stingray 5. Alot of bass for the $

4. I'm thinking about the Lakland Skyline 55-01. I have heard only positive comments on it and it looks great. I didnt like the feel of the stingray 5 when i played it at GC. What do you thing of the G and L Tribute or Spector?

5. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    my friend has the very low-end spector, and i just love playing it. always has a bright, almost too snappy sound and nice mid-rangeiness. you could probably get a professional Q5 for a lot less than list (800us)
  6. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I think you should take a look at the 55-01. I checked it out before buying a 55-02. Very nice bass for the money. The Ray would be way out of your price range (and not that much better).
  7. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hi. Try the Ibanez SRX505 as previously suggested or even the neck-thru version SRX705 falls within your budget. Both sound and play very well for the price range. Very professional sound. I'm considering the SRX705 myself. Can't go wrong with the Spector either if you don't mind a little more bite.
    Good luck.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A Lakland Skyline 55-02 is a helluva lotta bass for the money. As long as you're decent, you can compete with the "big boys/girls."

The essential aspect is knowing NOT to use your B string too much.
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Agreed on both counts. However, my 5 string DOESN'T HAVE a low B, heh heh... The lakland is a good option though. You should also try spector, as was mentioned. For close (maybe a litle more) to waht you want to spend, you can get a used Czech 5, which is a very very nice bass for the money. The BTB is a good choice for the price as well- I wouldn't forget about it just yet.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Another vote for the Lakland. Awesome basses!
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Lakland 55-01 is one of the best active 5 strings under a grand. My wife loves hers, and I play it a lot too.
  12. Yeah, if I wasn't getting either an Eshenbaugh or Nordstrand, Lakland is the next on my list
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    For less than $600, look into a used Peavey TL-Five or a Washburn XB-925. Both are very good for the buck.
  14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Another vote for the 55-02. I[ve played it and the the SRX707 and, for ME, there is no comparison. Granted, that's my personal preference, which is why you should try 'em both out. You may like the SRX better.
  15. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    The SRX is a 34" scale, the BTB a 35"; both are passive pickups that run through an active EQ system, I believe. I'm thrilled to have my BTB405, especially since I discovered it has two truss rods!
  16. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Another vote for Lakland. You can find used 55-01, 55-02, or the Skyline Joe Osborne model quite frequently on TB, HC, or Bass Gear. They Peavey Cirrus would be another used bass that I would highly reccomend looking into as well. For the most part, stay away from Ebay. I think you will find your best deals here at TB, Bass Gear, or HC. You should be able to find either of those basses for around $700 on either of the above mentioned web-sites. All of the above basses are 35" and active except the JOBO. The JOBO is passive and 35". Some JOBO's might have a Jazz Retro active preamp installed. Good Luck!
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I think i'll be in the minority my view would be to save a bit more and look for a used Ray5 [i believe they can be had for around $800], as for the other basses-i don't know as i haven't played them. That's all