Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String American Delux Jazz or 5 String Marcus Miller

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NINO3000, Feb 26, 2004.

1. NINO3000

NINO3000

Feb 10, 2004
    Mount Vernon NY
    (This is my first Post by the way)
    I was wondering about the opinions of the Bass Connoisseurs who frequent this page. I was shopping for a new Bass (I decided to go with a Fender over a Smith mainly for price reasons) and I was thinking about either a 5 string American Delux Jazz or a 5 string Marcus Miller. What do you guys think? Which one do you think is the better bass?

2. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    My Vote is for a Lakland 55-02.

IMHO they have Far better necks than the other basses you listed, Plus I think they sound much better.

Jazz basses always sound like jazz basses, but a 55-02 can have the jazz bass sound, or you can make it have a different sound if It dosent fit for a certain song or style of music you may start playing soon...

Or this:

http://www.lakland.com/frames/skyline_frame.html

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I would say, in that price range, a Used Elrick, Used Roscoe, or Used Smith will be a FAR BETTER choice than a Fender

If I had to pick one of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the Marcus Miller 5, but I don't think thats a great bass

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    For the cost of either of those, I would get the Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5. If you want an active bass, get them to drop in the J Retro preamp. Definately a good buy. WONDERFUL SOUND!!

FWIW, I have played a Skyline 55-02 and it did not match the vintage tone of the Skyline Joe Osborn. Great bass, but not the same as the Jazz.

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yeah, if you can find a used bass that really is the best way to go, you can buy much more bass used than new...

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Out of those choices, personally I'd go with the Miller although its pretty close choice for me. One option you could look into is the dudepit special http://pub206.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm21 Joe Osborne with J-Retro preinstalled.

7. American Deluxe, definitely.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    check out www.basscentral.com and www.bassnw.com for pricing on Laklands if you are interested. They usually have really good deals. The Dudepit special (limited edition) doesn't come in a 5 string.