1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-String and new Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fetusyolk, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    I've been looking around at getting a new amp. I'm looking to buy a halfstack (at least). now i've got a 5 string fender, and i don't know what to match up with it. Would a 4x10 cab be good enough to handle a low b with the bass cranked up?

and any suggestions? i'm looking to spend under a grand (cheaper the better for me), but i don't want to sacrificy quality, which brought me to the conclusion, carvin, cheap, heard good things.

Suggestions?

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    In short, it depends on which 4x10 you get.

My advice for your price range and pleny of low end would be a used LMII and a used GS212. I owned this same rig for a while and I was very pleased (I only play 5's). The Avatar 2x12 might also be a good choice.

I have no experience with Carvin amplification.

3. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    i went to the local GC and tried out the LMII many times, and sorry to say, it doesn't tickle my pickle. I really love some warm lows. and it doesnt do it for me =\, i'm going to look into the avatar, any other ideas?

4. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    it does really depend on a lot of issues. Short and simple though, a 4x10 can be great for a low B. Many like 12's....I did for a long time. Now though, I'm using a 4x10.

5. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    will 4x10s kind of, box out the soudn at loud volumes on a B, or crackle?

any suggestions?

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution

that's where it gets tough to answer. I don't know what your loud is versus anothers.

You can get any cabinet to give up if pushed loud enough.

I was playing a 600 watt, 2x12 cabinet. For the same applications, I'm now playing a 1000 watt, 4x10 cab. I prefer the 4x10....low B's and all.

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Entirely depends on how brutal you are with Boosting low frequencies. If you're looking for a huge retro sounding or Reggea type whoofy gut wrenching bass tone, then you'll likely want something 'with' the 4x10. The 4 10's will give you clarity, punch and allow you to cut through as well as nice clear lows, but the 410 isn't going to make you louder then guitar players with double stacks and at the same time make someone across the room wet themselves due to your low end frequencies.

Just all depends on what you need/want and what your personal tastes are for 'bass sound'.