Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string B.C. Rich Mockingbird??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Do they make/have they made a 5 string versin of the B.C. Rich Mockingbird?

Honestly, I would kill for a 5 string version of this:

[​IMG]

2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I'm not sure man... I hear bad things about B.C Rich bass sounds, but damn man, that looks gooooooooooooooood.........

3. No no, the Mockingbird's are good, preferably the early 80's ones, like this one:

[​IMG]

Well that's an Eagle, but close enough.

Both taken from bunnybass.com, and both are for sale :eek: :D

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I used to have a fernandes mockingbird.

that is it was a fernandes custom job modeled after a BC rich mocking bird.

it kicked ass.

great tone.

I've never seen a 5 string version though.

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    I don't see one on their website ;) :(...

6. sorry, never seen 5 string models of either the mockingbird or the eagle basses....heh....sorry to share bad news..

I definitely think they were great basses and looked awesome..especially since I keep seeing them for up to 700 bucks on ebay.

7. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

See, when I play 16ths, my fingers are use to having a string to stop them. For instance, when I play the E string, my B string stops them from a large economy of movement. But when I play my B string, there's no string to back my fingers up. As a result, my playing is INCREDIBLY slower, and it's not nearly as smooth.

Not to mention I prefer the string spacing of 5 strings...argh..make a 5 string mockingbird...

Hey I wonder if I could convert a 4 string to a 5 string. I'd just have to:

1) Buy another tuning peg thing to screw into the head

2) Get a 5 string bridge.

Of course, the string spacing on that would be pretty intense, I would think :eek:

EDIT:

3) Get new pups. Dammit all.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I hate when people diss BC Rich's./.... its mean :( i love em.

9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Doesn't Warmoth make a Mockingbird style body? Might be able to modify one of those to suit your needs.

10. I don't like the guy that runs Warmoth, I'll do what I can to keep him from earning an extra $30 or whatever.

11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of negative things about the guy. I haven't had any direct experiance so I couldn't give an honest opion of him or his business.

12. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Actually, they will make a 5 string if that's what you want. One of the HCBF members has a 6-string Bich that looks really nice.

As for the Mockingbird sound, it's actually very good. Don't forget that if you're going for a USA custom, you can request other pickups/electronics be used. They seem to be willing to work with you on custom stuff. Granted, it may cost a bit more than a stock Mockingbird but you get what you want.

I wouldn't mind picking up a Mockingbird as well. The ones I've played have been excellent (even with crap strings and in need of some maintenance).

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

A lot of people have a hard time taking basses with erroneous spikes and sharp curves seriously.

it's unfortunate, but it happens. I got a lot of flak over my old mockingbird.

but, it sounded goooood.

14. I love how they look, but is it just me or are they pretty uncomfortable to sit with?

15. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Wouldn't know, but that's what I hear about B.C RIch's. That there not for people who sit down and play... Did you tell me that max?? lol...

16. actually, Steve, I did!

when I sat w\ the beast, the warlock, the eagle and the mockingbird, the damned pointy spots made it a tad uncomfortable...but I liked how I could sit with the Warlock the same way I sit with a flying V..I like sitting and playing in that position....

they definitely have good presence on stage, though..and I can't see why no young person will think it looks dumb.

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I totally understand! I eitehr wanted a 6 mocking bird or thunderbird. I am getting a local guy to make a thunderbird 6 right now. Why not? I'd like the woods to look like the original pic.

18. Awesome, I gotta find their website. My bass fund is under $2k though, I don't think I can afford a custom bass at that price range.

The first bass pic goes for $1,200 and the 2nd goes for $1,800, something like that.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I found it to be the exact opposite. It was uncomfortable to play when standing up, huge neck dive, needed strap locks...etc.

but it played fine sitting down.

20. that's pretty weird, cuz I felt fine standing up w\ 'em..

for untraditional and exotic bodies, I prefer ESP