5-string bass advice please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by limbert76, Feb 22, 2006.

1. limbert76

Feb 22, 2006
    Dear all...

I'm Limbert Hutahaean, a new member & living in the UK. New player in 5-string bass -previously used to play 4 but has inactived for 1-2 years, here I come again :)
    I'm looking for a new 5-string but thinking for several brand as below:
    Yamaha RBX375
    Washburn XB-125
    Peavey Millennium BXP
    Squier Precision Bass Special 5
    (the basses above are around in my budget)

Asking for your advices which one the best in sound quality and durability -regardless the shape model or brand famous- or If U have any suggestion from the list above, it'll be great. FYI, I'm playing all around music but prefers to play Jazz, R&B & funk.

Thanks mate!
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ive read good things about the Yamaha, and Id look for an Ibanez in the same price range as well. I know the BTB series is fairly highly recomended.
  3. jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'd avoid the Squier... IMO, it's the least well-built of the models you specified, and for not a lot more, you could do a lot better if you were dying for a P-Bass.
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Another vote for the Yamaha, and sure, an Ibanez too. I really do believe that more modern companies such as these have the drop on the big old timer brands for budget basses. And this is coming from a guy who owns a Squier and a Fender. :)
  6. From your list, the Peavey. They sound more alive to me, where the others are pretty dead, boring, generic boom boom machines - except the washburn, never tried one of those.
  7. Eland

Mar 4, 2004
    How 'bout the OLP Tony Levin sig.?
  8. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I would check out the Yamaha...I used to own the RBX765A (it's predecessor), it has great string spacing and a 34" scale.
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I second the Yamaha's and the Peavey. Ibanez is also really nice. Not too crazy about the Squiers as they tend to be hit and miss. When you do find a good Squier they are definitely keepers though.
  10. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    +1 on the BTB
  11. mukjijazz

Feb 22, 2006
    Hi Limbert,

Am also a new TB'er member registered recently.
    With 5strings my advsie is try Fender Jazzbass V pasive MIM , its awesome I owned it since 2003.

Am thinking of upgrading to put pre-amp with J Retro ( from East product ) to become active.

So good to know you in this TB'er forum.
  12. Yes!! They are, and for good reason!

I own an upper-end BTB, and have played the lower-end models and they really are solid for the price tag.

Be sure you can try any of the instruments you may be looking for out, that will ultimately give you the best sense of knowing.
  13. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    Ibanez SDGR or BTB, if you find a used SDGR prestige i'd grab that.
  14. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    You may want to think about the type of music you are going to play - Ken Smith basses have great electronics and the KSD line is in the mid -600's .
  15. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Try out the Yamaha. I have a BBN5, have no complaints and been complimented on it's sound on more than one occassion. For budget basses, Yamaha seems to have it's act together.
  16. withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    dont buy boom boom machines..

buy Conklin
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004