Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-String Bass between $500-$600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I'm looking for a 5-String bass between $500 and $600. I play more of a heavy metal rock style. I need a fast action neck and preferrably 34" scale. Right now i'm leaning towards an Ibanez SR505.
    Do you guys have any suggestions?

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really enjoy my Tribute G&L L-2500. It was right at $600, and the electronics are good enough to provide a wide variety of quality signs. The overall build quality is quite good also.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I was playing a Corvette Rockbass 5 a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't put down.

If I was going to drop $600 on a bass though I'd save up another 4 or 5 hundred and getting something really worthwile. I think that $600 is the high end of the low end basses. $1000 + gets you the real Warwicks, Music Man, Spector, etc. I also really think there's a noticable differece.

I still loved that Rockbass though.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I really liked the Lakland 55-01 that I had for a while. It is 35" scale, but I found the neck to be very comfortable. These basses can be bought used in your price range.

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    You can get a Spector ReBop 5 at GC for right around 600. And I love mine. Comfortable neck, sounds good, not too heavy..

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I second that G&L Tribute recommendation.

r

7. I owned one, and while it wasn't quite the real deal, it was everything I expected and more.

It will serve you well until you are able to drop some big $$$ for a bass, and then maybe as a great backup. If you look around you could pick up a used one for about $400.

If you could afford $200 more($800), you could pick up a real L-2500 or a Stingray 5. (used of course) I think you would be very happy with this. :bassist:

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm with you, jimbass55; after all, I'm a G&L/Music Man/Fender kinda guy. However having thought about it, this guy seems to want some slick, uber-user friendly neck (not the dig in and work sort found on Fender-style basses). He had mentioned the Ibanez SR505. I'm not a big fan of the Soundgear series though I have tried some SR808 and higher end Soundgears that were pretty damn good albeit a wee bit too tight for some serious slapping (for me anyway).

So here's a new suggestion, look for a used higher end SR 5 string or consider a Schecter Stiletto 5 (preferable the Elite, Studio, or Custom): http://www.schecterguitars.com/Dprods.htm.

I've tried an Elite and really liked it but that Studio--whoa, silky smooth. Not normally my style axe, but it might suit what this guy is looking for despite the 35" scale.

Good luck,

r

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    You'll notice the lack of love for Ibanez here. While some of them sound OK, and many play well with them teeny-tiny necks, they just don't have the balls and *tone* that others in the same $$$ range will give you.

These guys are right on with the G&L and Musicman suggestions, used... I haven't played a G&L myself, but MusicMan makes a seriously solid, ballsy instrument - any of them.

I sense that these suggestions are too traditional in the looks dept for you (since you didn't respond except to bump the thread, but I may be wrong) - so for you and your metal style, I'd also agree with the Nerve up there, Warwicks and their low-end Rockbass counterparts can get you some hefty sounds. A Corvette Standard is about $900 new, but the Rockbass version is half that. Try to sniff around eBay for a used Corvette. 600 bucks should be in the neighborhood.

Good luck!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector Q5., although if yoy can, check out a godin freeway or SD 5. Better than anything in price range.

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hmmm, you know, I really like that Godin BG-5. But what's the SD? Godin has discontinued several of their bass attempts, some of which was pretty good but I guess just didn't catch on. Got a picture? Maybe I've tried it. I have tried a flamed topped Freeway 5 (perhaps this model replaced the SD). It wasn't bad but didn't blow me away. Perhaps it was the set up. The action was pretty high and not comfy to play. However the price was right. I think the BG-5 is more likely what this dude is looking for. I personally give it a thumbs up and so did Bass Player Magazine. However, these are a bit more expensive.

r

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The SD was either a PJ or JJ, I forget which. Also, it featured Duncan Basslines pups.

13. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I too think the G&L tribute 2500's are great values. I got mine for $500 with gig bag and a new set of strings. I also think if you can find a used Fender Roscoe Beck V, that is an outstanding bass. - Gary

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    P/J. I have a 4 string model (put in Bartolini pickups) I LOVE THIS BASS! Its a great bass once setup nicely. capable of low action and everything about it is high quality.

http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080/host/scott/HPIM0494.JPG

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yes! I've seen this SD bass before; but only in a 4 string model like yrs Figjam. I never tried it though; I was too wrapped up in those swanky Godin BG basses. I recall they also have a "pro" SD model that had active pickups (Seymours, maybe?). So I guess Godin DID discontiue the SD bass for the new Freeways. I'd like to try one of those Freeways again but with a better setup than the one I tried before. Perhaps they're better than I thought.

Then again, there's still that thar G&L Tribute!

r

16. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Another vote for the Tribute L-2500. I am convinced the G&L L-2500 is the best bass out there (for me anyway). Lots of different tones, but all with Fender vibes to them. I may trade up the Tribute for a G&L at some point - although I heard they sound the same, I have looked at the G&L L-2500 and it seems to be a much higher build quality. The Tribute isn't bad, though...

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes the Godin SD has been discontinued as of ...2003 i think?

18. I've got an MTD Heir 5 string on Ebay right now for $500, no reserve. It has a case and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. The neck is a little wider than the Soundgear series, but it's extremely comfortable.

19. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I'd look into the Ibanez SRX505. A two-MM pickup configuration, and I guess it's quite loud.