5 String Bass Building Project: Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 5, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'm thinking of embarking on my first parts bass project. i wanna do a 5 string with a jazz body, and tele headstock in a tri color sunburst with white pickguard. i'll definitely post up some "gloating" pics. :D its gonna be great!

also, i'm sorta stuck on what bridge to get. Badass II is my knee jerk answer for 4's, but they dont do a 5. what are other good ones i should investigate?

i know we've been beating this topic like a dead horse, but should i go Alder or Ash? what's good for a nice low B sound? something with a low thick punchie growl, yet not too mellow and dark. i love maple necks, but does alder really compliment it well?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, Leo Quan does make a five string bridge that's modelled on the Badass II, called the Bass V. It's about $100 from Allparts (www.allparts.com), but it's probably available elsewhere as well.

As for body woods, maple/ash is sort of a classic combination, and would probably look better under a 'burst, too.

3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx mike!

i'll keep an eye out for it, but is there a 5 string bridge that you or other people adore?
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm a nut for simple and cheap, so I'd have to vote for the Gotoh 201 5...

While the ones at WD are a bit pricey, their baseplates are
    drilled for a string-through option. The 4-string one I got in black
    chrome was :). I also got a BadAss replacement initially. Sure,
    the tone was great, but it was just so dang'd massive it threw
    the balance all outta' whack. Now this was on a little alder Yamaha,
    mind you. The Gotoh - though not quite as massive - still had
    good sustain with a healthy dose of "clank". I dunno if a BadAss
    with a Tele headstock would make your project bottom-heavy
    or what.

So. What kinda' pups are you considerin'? :D
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx duane,
    pickups, i'd prolly go with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5. they've become my sound, but a friend is steering me towards a JJ set of Lindy Fralins saying i might like the easy growl that'd go great with my new school r&b'er tones. i like an overall round sound that's got airy highs and tight bottom. BadassII's have been a mainstay on my jbasses, but i've been wondering what else it out there.

anyone try an ABM bridge for a 5 string?? people seem to say ABM's the best despite the mucho dinero.
  6. I kinda like the Spector 5 string bridges! OK, they can be fidgety to get the intonation spot on with, but I think they're great bridges!

They're is a guy on ebay who sells these bridges from time to time for about $30! Do a search on ebay for Spector Bridge in the completed items - the guy has an online store (does lots of other bridges and stuff!) and the stuff seems reasonably priced!