1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String Bass Building Project: Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 5, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    Hey all,

i'm thinking of embarking on my first parts bass project. i wanna do a 5 string with a jazz body, and tele headstock in a tri color sunburst with white pickguard. i'll definitely post up some "gloating" pics. :D its gonna be great!

also, i'm sorta stuck on what bridge to get. Badass II is my knee jerk answer for 4's, but they dont do a 5. what are other good ones i should investigate?

i know we've been beating this topic like a dead horse, but should i go Alder or Ash? what's good for a nice low B sound? something with a low thick punchie growl, yet not too mellow and dark. i love maple necks, but does alder really compliment it well?

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, Leo Quan does make a five string bridge that's modelled on the Badass II, called the Bass V. It's about $100 from Allparts (www.allparts.com), but it's probably available elsewhere as well.

As for body woods, maple/ash is sort of a classic combination, and would probably look better under a 'burst, too.

Mike

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    thx mike!

i'll keep an eye out for it, but is there a 5 string bridge that you or other people adore?

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm a nut for simple and cheap, so I'd have to vote for the Gotoh 201 5...

[​IMG]

While the ones at WD are a bit pricey, their baseplates are
    drilled for a string-through option. The 4-string one I got in black
    chrome was :). I also got a BadAss replacement initially. Sure,
    the tone was great, but it was just so dang'd massive it threw
    the balance all outta' whack. Now this was on a little alder Yamaha,
    mind you. The Gotoh - though not quite as massive - still had
    good sustain with a healthy dose of "clank". I dunno if a BadAss
    with a Tele headstock would make your project bottom-heavy
    or what.

So. What kinda' pups are you considerin'? :D

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    thx duane,
    pickups, i'd prolly go with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5. they've become my sound, but a friend is steering me towards a JJ set of Lindy Fralins saying i might like the easy growl that'd go great with my new school r&b'er tones. i like an overall round sound that's got airy highs and tight bottom. BadassII's have been a mainstay on my jbasses, but i've been wondering what else it out there.

anyone try an ABM bridge for a 5 string?? people seem to say ABM's the best despite the mucho dinero.

6. I kinda like the Spector 5 string bridges! OK, they can be fidgety to get the intonation spot on with, but I think they're great bridges!

They're is a guy on ebay who sells these bridges from time to time for about $30! Do a search on ebay for Spector Bridge in the completed items - the guy has an online store (does lots of other bridges and stuff!) and the stuff seems reasonably priced!