1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string bass carvin sb5000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnbkim93, Oct 14, 2013.

1. johnbkim93

johnbkim93

Jun 24, 2013
    Ive been looking for a 5 string bass thats $1000-2000 for now.
    Im waiting for a used carvin sb5000 to come up in the classifieds.

But while im waiting, i want to know the difference in tone compared to other basses.

I want it to be versatile and good for gospel, fusion, funk, hiphop, and soul.
    I heard many people suggesting lakland 55-02/55-94. How are they different from carvin sb5000 in tone?
    I also heard the fender american jazz deluxe V is good. I already have a fender bass so kinda want a different one. But still want to know the difference from the carvin.

Also stingray, warwick, callowhill...etc..
    I know they are all good basses but I just want the comparison.

2. davidhilton

davidhilton Commercial User

Apr 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Kinda spammy, I'd say.

Anyway, I think Carvin has improved their electronics over the last several years, and their craftsmanship has always been excellent. I've played a number of them at the factory, and was impressed with their playability and tone, given that I had to play them through Carvin amps, of which I'm not a big fan. As long as you get a 2-pickup bass, I don't see why a Carvin wouldn't serve you well in the genres you listed.

That said, I'd buy a Fender Jazz before a Carvin, though. Even better, the Lakland 55-02.

4. johnbkim93

johnbkim93

Jun 24, 2013
    May i ask why? How are they different? Why would you say lakland 55 02 is better than the other two?

5. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    What a useless post, Dave..!

Carvin basses definitely have soul. I disagree about Fender vs. Carvin, I've played the Am Deluxe V and it just felt 'cheaper' than my SB5000.

Tonally, the Carvin can do the active super-jazz tone really well, can do the Marcus tone really well and can do a killer 70s passive tone as well. And that's before you really get involved with the onboard EQ. I play one in a funk/fusion band and it definitely does the job. Plus the B string is killer!

Can't really speak to the Lakland as I've never played one, but something to think about is that they are 35" to the Carvin's 34".

6. johnbkim93

johnbkim93

Jun 24, 2013
    Thank you
    Anyone have their thoughts on lakland and other basses compared to carvin sb5000?

7. Can't speak for Lakland, but my Carvin is perfect for gospel, funk, R&B, and even rock/pop. VS my Am Std Jazz, it's not as gritty, but it's got that gospel clarity and plays very smooth. You can get a new SB5000 between $1-2K. I love mine.

Attached Files:

8. johnbkim93

johnbkim93

Jun 24, 2013
    The stock ones?or the custom?

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Both. You can go all out and it'll still be well under $2K. You can keep it simple and therefore closer to $1K.

10. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The Carvin SB series rocks. Great for just about anything I'd say. The J99a pickups sound fantastic to me. Excellent value for the money. Here's mine. :D

4764EEB6-BD26-42C4-A6E8-4318581D069C-2095-0000040E7B00F65C_zps2b167212.

11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Apparently we are to avoid contact with any form of lessons here. Carvin's aren't welcome.

12. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I don't own one myself, but one time when I showed up for a lesson with Ed Friedland, he was playing his new Carvin SB 5000. It sounded great to me, he was harmonizing along with my lesson while I played.

13. Puma

Puma Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2010
    VA
    >>>carvin basses have no soul...imo<<<

Personal opinion I know but, couldn't disagree more. You can get your carvin custom for well under 2k. All of your choices would be good. But for me the Carvin offers the best bang for the buck.

I own a Carvin SB5000 and love it. I own a Fender Jazz (4 string) and love that one two. The Carvin can get a high fi funk that my Fender jazz can't match. my Fender can get a vintage vibe that my Carvin can get. I normally take them both, just because I like playing them (both)

AB

14. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I just picked up an SB5000 used for $850. I love it. It one of the best values out there for what you get. And I am a Lakland endorser so you know;). I can't do their 35" scale. I've had $2000+ basses that didn't have the true B string response this has. I can't see how you could go wrong, active, passive, it's covered. Get some flats, get some rounds and you are ready for anything.
    The Fender Deluxes are also very very good, but the SB5000 is lighter, more comfortable standing or sitting, and will save you $100's.

15. Jaco said "It's all in the hands" which I and others believe, so maybe... :eyebrow:

Bam! :D

16. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The one thing I'm not 100% pleased with is the lack of mid presence in the standard sb series electronics. I have the vol/vol/tone/treble and bass stack. Mid presence is an issue. Almost too scooped. I end up boosting 600Hz and 1khz with an eq pedal.

17. johnbkim93

johnbkim93

Jun 24, 2013
    Thank you,
    How are the laklands compared to carvin regarding tone?

18. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Between 1K and 2K.

I find the 55-01 / 02 neck a tad chunky for me. In the price range of the 02, you could do the DJ5 or the JO5 , if you go Lakland. My main axe is a DJ5 now.

I tried the SB5000 and the two I tried out had very different neck shapes. One was VERY chunky and I do not like chunky necks at all. Waste of wood to me. The other was slimmer, and a little more fender'esque.

If variety in tone is what you're after, I would go with the 55-02. ANd if the neck is on the chunky side, a luthier could always shave it down. I had my -01 neck shaven way down. My second 01 will have the same done to it.

Long answer long....Lakland , Carvin, Fender. All good choices really.

19. I thought they have an option to dump the passive tone for a mid boost/cut frequency select?

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well the usual way people say it is Carvins sound STERILE!

And even though I own a Carvin bass and love it, I'm sorry to say that IMO there is a grain of truth in that opinion.

My first Carvin experience was buying a pair of Carvin Stacked coil J pickups to try to save my Aria Pro II bass. I hated them. And then I bought EMGs which everyone loves and hated those too, so go figure. Sold the bass.

My Carvin is the semi-hollowbody AC50 in fretless. A totally amazing bass in ALL ways. It's ONLY shortcoming is no magnetic pickup to mix in.

But I don't own any of the other icons, and anniversary, and bunny basses. And the reason is that somehow they DID sound sterile to me. Just my opinion. And the older they were the more sterile they sounded to me in spite of being huge bargains!

And then Carvin started the SB series. Raves everywhere. And positive reviews just keep coming. I'd love to get up close and personal with that series especially with the new P bass line. Do I think these have "no soul"? Haven't played one so I can't say but the word from people I trust is that these are NOT your former sterile Carvins.

So that's the things about general rules. They can be right about some things and then dead wrong about others. I would certainly buy a Carvin P/J 5er before I'd get a Fender (Fender doesn't even sell one now) even if I do still have a little bit of doubt lingering over their pickups.