5 string bass EADGC questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by charliebass17, Dec 6, 2021.

1. charliebass17

charliebass17

Dec 6, 2021
    Hi. I have a Fender American Professional Jazz Bass V and I'm intending on stringing it EADGC. I was just wondering if any adjustments would have to be made (i.e. filing the nut, raising the saddles etc) to make this work.

2. You’ll definitely want to do a setup. The relief and intonation will most likely need to be adjusted and possibly the string heights. The nut might be ok. If the witness points are set and there’s good downforce from the strings they can work ok in a bigger nut slot.

iiipopes likes this.
  3. charliebass17

charliebass17

Dec 6, 2021
    Thanks

4. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    That was after all, the original Fender intent.......

5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Your EADGC tuning is a great idea! The stuff you can play on 0 to 5 fret will be awesome! You won't even have to move your hand!

Good luck on the "set-up".

6. charliebass17

charliebass17

Dec 6, 2021
    Not my idea btw.

bassdude51 likes this.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Nothing new in the world. Fender's original mid-'60's Bass V was tuned EADGC. Ibanez have had at least two EADGC basses over the last few years: BTB33 Volo and the BTB845V. There are others I can't recall right now.

bassdude51 likes this.
  8. I put a Fodera E-C set on a Yamaha TRBX-605. It was pretty straightforward A trussrod and intonation adjustment. The nut was fine.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022