Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string bass options spector or schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thomas85, May 22, 2004.

1. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    hi first post on TB i hadnt really seen any thing on these guitars but im i nthe market for a new 5 string bass around the 1500 dollar mark (australian) which is comprable to about 500 - 800 US depending on the brand the 2 guitars im interested are the schecter stilletto elite 5 or the spector rebop 5 has anyone got these and would recomend them or any other sugestions on a 5 string

a few things first i dislike fenders as a mim is worth 1500 and way over priced i dont like warwicks coz they look like **** and ibanez soundgear is out as the necks are way to thin for my chunky hands but any other sugestions that would be available in australia would be apreciated

thanks

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    in that price range, I'm pretty impressed with the G&L L-2500 tribute.... I've not played either of the ones you've mentioned though.

Welcome to TalkBass!

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector NS2000/5 or Ns2000 Q5. Both great basses.

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I second the Spectors!!!! GREAT basses!!

--Matthew

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Spector +3

maybe look for a used euro, or rebop, theyre all great basses

6. Well the rhyme so....

It's up to you. :p

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What he said...I have one of each of the Professional series (Korean made) 5 stringers from Spector! :D

Never played Shecter, but I can tell you that Spector makes one fine bass guitar!

8. Well, haven't played a Spector, but had my Shecter Elite 5 for over 3 years now. Bottom line- try to play each one and see which suits you best. I will say this- the Shecter is a solid instrument with good action, superb sustain with neck-thru construction and decent tone. I have no doubt the Spector line is just as good, and I suspect that they may be a bit better. Downside might be cost - new or used, the Spector will run you more. Heck, you can get used Schecters in great shape and with a signature hardshell case for $350. That's what I'd sell mine for, at least. (How's that for an ad?) :p

9. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    thanks for the info even more thanks to the info on the schecter because ive heard people go on about spectors all the time yeah i was looking into a rebob 5 which i think (or perhaps it was something else ) for 1499 but i will try both and see i just wanted opinions as the store with the schecter it an hours drive away... thanks

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can get a Spector Q5 for the price as well, just gotta know where to look. I got mine from a TBer for $300 shipped, used , near mint condition.