Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5-string bass recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flyingcowofdoom, Apr 8, 2002.

1. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    I have been playing a 4-string for about a year and a half now (which I recently defretted), and I'd like to move on to a 5-string. However, I am on a tight budget and don't want to spend more than $500. I was looking at the Yamaha BB5GS, but I'd like your recommendations. Thanks.

2. I think the Peavey Fury 5 might be a good choice. It's got the active VFL pickups which sound very good in my opinion, and it looks great with that figured top and satin chrome hardware. It's got bass, mid, and treble EQ and a great feeling neck. The heel block is a bit clunky, though. I see it is priced at $479.99 on Peavey's web site, but you could probably get it for a bit less at a music store. That price doesn't include a case though. I've always liked the Peavey basses I've had. I think they're great for the price you pay for them.

Bryan

3. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    I agree entirely...the Fury V is a *very nice bass* for the money. With a retail of 599.99 (would be far higher were it American made) you should be able to get one new for around what you're willing to pay. Actually much less than you were willing to pay;Shop around!

& do a search on the Fury V; I just posted a thread extolling their virtues

Happy bass hunting

I'm not just a Fury V supporter, I'm a user!!!

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingston 5er.
    Best new bass under 1000, and better than some OVER 1000. IMHO.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You want a REAL good 5 for under $500, get an MTD Kingston 5, I know where you can get one for a real good price, too! ;)

(see my sig :D)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with BENT ONE and TARD on this one.

The Yamaha has some nice features, and the Fury V is pretty decent, but neither are in the same class B string wise or fit & finish wise as the MTD. A $500 5 string with a B better than some $1500+ 5 strings.

7. heelflip86

heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    ive got a alvarez 5 string, i very much love it, i got it used for 400, it has a very nice bstring, not a very good slap bass, but for jazz i love it

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Amen on that B string Blunt Languager

It has a killer B string, better than a lot of higher end basses. Better in fact than some Ken Smiths, Laklands, and Warwicks I tried. The B is killer. Even passive, it kills. It records something fierce; clear, clean, and just plain big. I have nothing bad to say about it, except for a itty bit of neck dive that causes no strain on my hands at all. The string spacing is very comfortable, the Zero fret makes it incredibly even, and the wide flat neck makes it fast and smooth. You hear people on about BTBs, Yammers, and Skylines, personally, I don't think any of them come close to the Kingston. Heck, even re-tuned to open A (ADGCF) it's got a better B than the Skylines.
    [edit]- And it slaps like a mother, in case that's your bag. It's also a great fingerstyle beastie. Don't let the single passive MM pup fool you, this thing has a broad range of tones, and is a pleasure to play.

Plus, the cavity is so massive that adding and active preamp (even an 18v) would be nothing at all. This thing is a serious peice of work, and for UNDER $500, I think it's win/win through and through.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    BLEND AND...

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about that K5...

;)

(Heck thru the rig you just put together, a Hondo should kill!! :D)

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

11. flyingcowofdoom

flyingcowofdoom

Nov 20, 2000
    NJ, USA
    Ok, I'm probably going to go with the MTD Kingston 5. Gard, it says on your webpage that it's on sale. How long will that sale last? I won't be able to purchase it for another month or so. Also, how much is shipping. If you prefer, you can e-mail me at flying_cow_of_doom@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your help.

--Chris

12. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    I'm going to have to play one (MTD).
    I'm sure you cats are right I'd just like to see for myself!

I wonder how much the zero fret contributes to its great sound/reputation?

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Zero fret evens out the tone considerably. Think of a regular fretted instrument as a hybrid. Fretless open strings, and then fretted notes. The Zero fret makes the open notes fretted as well, contributing to a more well rounded tone, not to mention sharper, brighter notes. I dig em!

14. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Noting what you've said begs the question; why don't more makers use them?

15. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I second Brendan with the Kingston recommendation. I have one for sale , to help finance the purchase of a Fender Jazz Bass. 95/100 condition.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, not that I'd know, but I'd guess that it's extra material, and extra work involved, that, and it's really not that big of a deal. Like active and passive pickups: whatever floats your boat. Honestly, I don't know, how's about going and asking the Luthier's down in Luthier's Corner?

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Take a look at what Dean has in your price range. They have some REALLY nice basses for the money, I love mine.

18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I don't know how hard they are to find lately but try a DeArmond PIlot Deluxe. There are still some around AFAIK and they're going pretty cheap. I bought mine for £325 brand new. It's mahogany or swamp ash body wings, walnut/maple thru neck and 3 band eq. It's a nice bass and very cheap cos Fender have stopped making them. If you see one around then try it.