1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5 string bass strings on a 4 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bobostein, Oct 2, 2010.

1. bobostein

bobostein

Jun 5, 2009
    I play standard 5 tuning on my 4 string and some times I cant play that great because how loose the strings are. Could I just use the bottom 4 strings from a 5 string set?

2. yes...many folks do. You don't really use a G all that much. At least I don't.

3. BrickBatMansion

BrickBatMansion Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2010
    EAST TENNESSEE
    I do it every day.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, try a lighter 5 string set, like using .125, ..105, .085, .065.

5. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Yes indeedy, though make sure you've sorted the nut profile beforehand or else you could end up cracking it. You can buy some files from guitar-parts sites.

6. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    +1 to filing the nut

7. gggb

gggb Guest

yeah

8. darknecrotic

darknecrotic

Oct 4, 2010
    I hate to make a thread resurrect/steal but I figure it's better than making a new thread for one question.

If I were to put the last 4 strings of a 5 string set on my 4 stringer, is there anyway I could tune it to C standard, or would that ruin the neck? I play my guitars in C standard and would like to have a bass tuned to C standard..

Is this a bad idea like I assume it is? lol

9. Spas

Spas

Jul 19, 2010
    Finland, Turku
    I just strung my 4 stringer with the 4 bottom stings of a 5 string set yesterday. Just for the heck of it, and because the G on the 5 string set snapped on me. :)

I like it so far! :bassist:

(and sorry for this post, didn't realize it was a "resurrected" thread)

10. Choose a light set and you should be fine.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    It is called BEAD tuning.

Also you should consider DGCF tuning.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

No need to apologize! That's why the search function exists. Better to resurrect than be yelled at for not searching first. :D

13. darknecrotic

darknecrotic

Oct 4, 2010
    Thank you very much.

14. 95svtcobra

95svtcobra

Sep 20, 2007
    Windham, NH
    I did a bit of work on the nut and I swear I got nervous with every neck bend, but it since I do a lot of 1/2 step down stuff it sounded great and the tension on the strings felt great (until I didn't play that bass for a while and my hands lost a bit of conditioning)