1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 String bass strings what kind!??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by glorpwolf, Mar 12, 2003.

1. glorpwolf

glorpwolf

Jan 5, 2003
    I have a brice 5 string fretless, rondomusic.com if you want to check it out. First off, for $250, it is an amazing deal, but i want to upgrade my strings. Does anyone have suggestions for 5 string set of strings. Thicker is better, because my b string, factory installed strings, sounds kinda dead sometimes. I think these strings are like the super-cheapo kind, but im willing to spend maybe $25. If anyone can help me out, that would be great, thanks!

2. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    well for just $25, you'll only be getting another set of cheap strings...epecially if they're gonna be 5-sting flatwound.

3. Spring for some TI Jazz Flats. Sure they cost more than $25, but they'll last maybe forever. $25 roundwounds will last you 2 weeks to 2 months and need replacing.

4. glorpwolf

glorpwolf

Jan 5, 2003
    What about under $40?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The responsivness of the strings has nothing to do with gauge. It's more a matter of how much ferrous material, (as in "iron") is in the strings and the construction design.

But you're most likely correct about the string quality -inexpensive basses are "inexpensive" partially due to the fact that they come with junky strings.

Since strings offer the most tonal satisfaction at the least cost, I can only say - try as many as you can. FWIW - luthier Matt Schmill, and owner of the "Bass Gear Review" website thinks that GHS Brite Flatwounds are the best strings he's tried on fretless basses.

6. I just strung my 5 up with foderas and its wicked tite!:D Kicks DR's ass!

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Exactly what i was thinking. I spend about $45 on a set of flatwound 5's for ncie quality. They will, however, last at least a year on a fretless, probably more.