Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 String bass strings what kind!??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by glorpwolf, Mar 12, 2003.

1. glorpwolf

glorpwolf

Jan 5, 2003
    I have a brice 5 string fretless, rondomusic.com if you want to check it out. First off, for $250, it is an amazing deal, but i want to upgrade my strings. Does anyone have suggestions for 5 string set of strings. Thicker is better, because my b string, factory installed strings, sounds kinda dead sometimes. I think these strings are like the super-cheapo kind, but im willing to spend maybe $25. If anyone can help me out, that would be great, thanks!

2. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    well for just $25, you'll only be getting another set of cheap strings...epecially if they're gonna be 5-sting flatwound.

3. Spring for some TI Jazz Flats. Sure they cost more than $25, but they'll last maybe forever. $25 roundwounds will last you 2 weeks to 2 months and need replacing.

4. glorpwolf

glorpwolf

Jan 5, 2003
    What about under $40?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The responsivness of the strings has nothing to do with gauge. It's more a matter of how much ferrous material, (as in "iron") is in the strings and the construction design.

But you're most likely correct about the string quality -inexpensive basses are "inexpensive" partially due to the fact that they come with junky strings.

Since strings offer the most tonal satisfaction at the least cost, I can only say - try as many as you can. FWIW - luthier Matt Schmill, and owner of the "Bass Gear Review" website thinks that GHS Brite Flatwounds are the best strings he's tried on fretless basses.

6. I just strung my 5 up with foderas and its wicked tite!:D Kicks DR's ass!

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Exactly what i was thinking. I spend about $45 on a set of flatwound 5's for ncie quality. They will, however, last at least a year on a fretless, probably more.