Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string bass with an MM/J configuration for under 500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Mar 3, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am looking for something to that effect, new or used doesn't really matter. It seems to be a little tougher than I thought.
    Any suggestions? I suppose it doesn't matter if the stock pickups are crap, I can change them out. The only thing that comes to mind in that price range is the MTD Kingstons, but the pickguard is just so ugly, and the non-pickguard models are more expensive.

I wish the Lakland 55-02s were nearer the price range of the 01s.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ibanez makes a five string that you can get for under $500 new with the MM/J pickup configuration. The bass actually sounds good too! I can't remember the model number and I'm too lazy to look it up. Chek out Ibanez's website for the actual model.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Well I could come in here and pimp used Carvins like I've been doing lately but...
    USED CARVIN!!!! you could easily find one for 500 (maybe even under) on evilbay, there's no pickguard, the headstock is a little ugly, the construction is on par with some multi thousand dollar basses and like you said if you don't like the electronics you could swap em out!

4. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I think he's talking about the Road Gear line, an RD500 or something like that. Not a bad bass for the money. Right around that $500.00 mark I think, maybe $550.00, though if you're spending $550.00, go with a Spector Legend 5. Really nice. Hot signal too. Just my .02

Cheers

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Legend series is great! superd tone, and overall great bass but the construction and finish however good are not on the same level as Carvin.