1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

5 string bass with high c?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Most 5 strings have the low B. But does anyone make then with the high c?

Getting used to the 5 string is a task for me because of the low b. I continuously think it is the e string and even when I use it as an anchor, I still screw up. A high C would be pretty cool and I actually would prefer the C over the B.

Anyone?

2. You can restring nearly any fiver to go from E-C, and might not even have to alter the nut

3. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Get out, really?

Who makes a set of 5 strings like that or do I have to order a set of 6 strings?

4. im pretty sure you can go to musiciansfriend.com and find a set of 5 strings either b-g or e-c.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Some more weeks and you'll get used to the B.

There are some E-C sets, but most of teh time it's easier to get 4 +a singel C I think.

6. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I have strung my 5 strings for years as E-C, great for chords and other solo playing. I used to buy a regular 4 string set, and then a single .30. But then they became tough to find in most stores. Now I buy a 6 string set, and use the low B on another bass (just have to buy another 4 string set).

7. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Juststrings.com is another site who sells individual high C strings. Also, Fodera makes 5 string sets specifically with high C strings. If you want to string your bass E-C, go for it, nothing wrong with it other than you might piss off a few people who live to hear the sound of a low B (I've ran across more than a few).

Yup though, it's cool for solos, chords, wall-o-fuzz, and other stuff. Not the greatest practice in the world, but I actually own an octave pedal for hitting low A's and such, so it works out in the end for me.

8. bozo

bozo

May 18, 2004
    Nice
    I plan to move from 6 string to 5 string.

Do any of you know a 34' 5 string with 19mm string spacing at reasonable price (700 euros).

The closest bass I found till now is a BTB555 (except it's 35' but I could live with this).

9. You could always go SIT strings. My next axe will be a fretless 5 E-C.

10. +1 for just strings...thats what i used for my 6 string bass that i tuned EAGDCF

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I ordered one like that from Carvin in 1990. The only difference from a regular 5 and a tenor is the nut slots and intonation.

I was ordering 4 string sets and singles for the high string.