Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, Jun 1, 2001.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well im going to make a 6 string g****r into a 5 string bass, any tips or suggestions?
    thanks
    luke

2. Adam Bartram

Adam Bartram

May 31, 2001
    London, UK
    The string tensions on a 6 string are a little higher than a 5 string. Does it have dual truss rods. Is there enough space to fit the extra machine and enough space to fit a wider pickup?

If you can stick with the string spacing of the 5 string and just group them closer (depends on the new bridge), then it should be ok, but you'll have anarrow string spacing.

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    only 1 truss rod and im getting a friend to put the pups in, mabey a bit of routing but ill leave it up to him. enough space for everything else.
    thanks
    Luke

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Suggestions? DON'T DO IT is my suggestion! Just what are you trying to accomplish?

There's (at least) one REALLY big difference between guitars and bass guitars which you might not have noticed - the SCALE LENGTH. Your average bass guitar is 34" from nut to saddle, while a regular guitar is 25½". See the difference? The thought that a bass is no more than a guitar with different strings and pickups is ludicrous. I couldn't even in my wildest dreams imagine that the result of your experiment will be anything but crap. You're free to prove me wrong, though.

If you succeed I'll make a double bass out of a cello. Or a recorder from a pan flute.

And Mr. Bartram, are we replying the same post?

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Maybe Adam Bartram thought that he was talking about a six string bass to a five string and not a regular guitar to a 5 string bass.

6. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    how bout de fretting it? i cant really see any problems with that but you guys are the smart ones here, im supposed to be doing a school assignment. hehehe anyway, would de-fretting it work?
    thanks
    Luke

7. Adam Bartram

Adam Bartram

May 31, 2001
    London, UK
    I'm sorry, I was assuming conversion from a 6 string bass to a 5 string bass.

I agree wholeheartedly that converting a guitar to a bass would be a disaster!

With such a short scale length the best you could hope for would be no sustain, and a really muddly distorted sound. I've made a short scale bass, once, but that was 30 inch scale, (like the old Gibson EB3) and it was aweful.

Don't convert it, please!!!!! Sell it and buy a bass, give someone else the benefit of you guitar, but don't mess it about.

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    ok you made me change my mind, anyone in australia that wants to buy a good fender copy(not squier) offer open to the world.
    later
    Luke