1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

5-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stagnation, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Stagnation

Stagnation

Feb 14, 2010
    London
    I'm a beginner bassist looking to get a 5 string bass for a lowish price, any reccommendations? I was thinking about a washburn T25, but after reading some reviews and poking around on this site I'm not entirely sure..

2. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
  3. MadsDK

MadsDK

Apr 1, 2010
    Denmark
    I'd definitely say Yamaha RBX375.
    I bought mine for about 2295 DKR (about 420$), when I was looking for my first 5 string, and I chose it over two more expensive basses because of its playability and sound:).

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Ibanez

5. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    Ibanez Sr505

6. Beginner Bass

Beginner Bass

Jul 8, 2009
    Round Rock, TX
    A&R, Soulless Corporation Records
    I will be the first to say this: SX. I have one of these. They're great for the money.

7. themurm523

themurm523

Mar 1, 2010
    i have a fender jazz 5 MIM in sunburst im trying to sell how cheap are you looking?

8. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    ibanez 105ex.
    awesome 5er, good price too.
    it has a thinner neck than most 5 strings ive played.
    easy transition from a 4 string. it was my first 5 string and my only one right now.

havent played an SX 5er, but at the price point and from what i know about their 4 strings id love to try one out. i love the look of a 5 string jazz bass.

IMO, squier and fender 5ers have really chunky necks, not my thing. but some people really like them.

9. Stagnation

Stagnation

Feb 14, 2010
    London
    thanks for all the replies, spoilt for choice now though n_n' i take it that a washburn T25 is no good then?

10. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Don't discount the Yamaha basses. Very nice for the money and reasonably available almost anywhere. Well built and nice playing basses.

11. Stagnation

Stagnation

Feb 14, 2010
    London
    I must admit I do like the look of the Yamaha, but what do people think of the Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass Active V? From what I've found in the past 5 mins it's decent price, which is my main bug seeing as i have no money at the moment..

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Peavey Millenium...Peavey TL-5. both are under $500 for an average bass.. both made in USA and going up in value.

PM me if you buy one and I'll help you get it dialed in.

13. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
  14. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Traben Array 5 string. A lot of people don't like Traben but I think they have a great sound and feel. Very thin neck and light weight plus Active P-ups. (I have the 4 string version)

ESP LTD B55-5 is another one.

Peavey Millenium BXP. Got to play one of these beauties at a local guitar shop and I'm certain it'll be my next bass. Runs about 270 at MF.

15. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    IMO, IME, a simple passive 5 will do. no need for fancy electronics.

16. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I'll second that Peavey. I played the exact one earlier and it was very full and punching sounding, nice neck and it wasn't even heavy! The guy at my local shop said it doesn't compare in anyway to a Cirrus BXP, but I think they sounded really similar :spit:

17. To better answer your question, it would help if you told us your budget and what type of music you want to do with. You'll also have to try a few out to see what kind of neck profile or width you like, as they can vary a lot. String spacing at the bridge also varies a lot, so there's quite a few things to consider; only trial and error will tell you what feels good to your hands.

18. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
  19. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL

+1 Check out the SR MODELS... Great prices

20. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    call me shallow but the G tune key all by itself just turns me off from this bass.