5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stealthco4545, Oct 1, 2000.

1. I just bought a five string bass the other day and I was wondering if anyone else used one religiosly.
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    No about 60/40 I played 4 string for too long.
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Oh and welcome to the board and all that social stuff. Dont forget to say goodbye to your life like the rest of us. :)
  4. Since buying my first five string several years ago, I seldom play my 4 string. I find that I "paint myself into corners" on the 4 string, expecting to be able to use a note on that 5th string. At this point I only play my 4 string (a really NICE 4 string, a '62 Precision Reissue) for the novelty value. I sure wouldn't trust myself on a 4 at a gig anymore.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i can't do my gig on a 4 string. i quit 4 for 7 string in '93, and i haven't looked back once. :D
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I play my 5's agnostically, but they're all I play. Once I made the switch from 4, it just got to where there was no reason to play 4 any more. michaeln's "paint myself into corners" observation is a good one.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Since I started playing 5 string I havent even picked up a 4...In fact I don't even own a 4 string anymore.
  8. Since i got my 5 i haven't played my 4 at all. that low B is really somethin. Though i don't know how often i'll be playing the 5 in the future because after my next bass, it's onto 7 string i go
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll have to agree with michaeln as well.

Though I still play one of my fours quite a bit(not by choice, it's an oldies gig and a Pedulla just isn't 'authentic' according to the bandleader!:mad: )I pretty often find myself painted into a corner, going for that low D, or C or whatever, and it even happens higher on the neck as well, forgetting that the extra string is not there, and on occasion having to play an octave higher root than I intended when I was walking down to grab the low one.

I am starting to play the 5 a little on the oldies sets, and if I am allowed to make the full transition, I will have yet another bass that sees little action, outside of the bedroom.
  10. My Sadowsky PJ5 passes for "classic", I think. Jazz bass look, Olympic White, tortoise pickguard. Looks pretty "60s/70s" if you don't look too close. ;-)

I wish I could play my '62 P Reissue on those country gigs, but I just don't trust myself not to make lots of mistakes without the B string.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, the bandleader is coming around a little on the Pedulla.

It is cherry sunburst with a tortoise pickguard, and is J shaped, but smaller bodied and shorter horned.

I took it last night as my 'backup', wound up playing it on half the sets.

The guitarist and drummer both commented several times on how they can hear it so much better than the Jazz.
  12. I have only been playing 5 for a few weeks, and I've only been playing bass seriously since January. Even still, I actually get UNcomfortable going back to my four, even at this early stage of fivedom :) I'm just used to that B string being there, and it's presence changes your approach and even your physical/tactile perception of the strings. Or something like that :p
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm a minority then.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And I'm agnostic as well! ;)

I haven't used anything but 5s and 6s in the last 4 or 5 years, since my old Ibanez Musician started to fall apart. I couldn't find any 4s that suited me. I find that I prefer a wider flatter neck and only 5s and 6s have this. I also find that if I stay in the 1st position a lot I get cramps in my left hand, but using the 5 or 6 means you can always find alternate positions for playing a low F, for example.
  15. I too like to avoid the first position. Playing open strings screws me up, makes it more difficult to transpose to another key if necessary. The open strings sound different and have their own issues with damping, too.
  16. The only reason I was curious about it was because like a bunch didn't recomend one. Now i'm glad I bought one!