5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cjsh, Apr 23, 2003.

1. cjsh

Apr 23, 2003
    I've been looking for a 5-string bass for my 15-year old son. He's been playing Squire for 2-3 years and wants upgrade. I narrowed down to Ibanez EDB 605 and Fender 5 string (Mexico). Any opinion with these basses?

my budget is $400. or any other recommendation with price < $500?
  2. I've never played the Ibanez, but I've played and heard the Fender, and that'd work. It would be best to take him down to a music store, if that's possible, and let him decide after playing them and any others he finds in that price range (what's good for one player may not be the best for another).
    The other thing is that some of the basses of a particular model may play or sound better than others of the same model-- quality control isn't always the best.
    Also, with the Fender, it's pretty easy to find replacement parts (bridge, pickups, electronics, necks, etc.) if he gets some more money and wants to upgrade something later.
  3. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Welcome cjsh to TalkBass and congratulations on being so supportive of your son. Very, very cool !!!
    I think the Ibanez is a good choice at that price level and you wouldn't go wrong but for me the Mexican Fenders are the best dollar for dollar value on the market. I'd go with the Fender....but that's me. Your son has some experience....what does he think??
  4. cjsh

Apr 23, 2003
    We went to one local store, but they didn't have any 5 string. I stopped by Guitar Center few days ago, they have a couple of 5 strings, Ibanez was one of them. It is hard to try if store does not have selections. I am not comfortable to purchase a used guitar online..

any good online stores carry used basses?
  5. Might he be able to find a used MTD kingston (or the other Korean Made series I forgot the name of) for around that price. I played one the other day and It was a very nice instrument, significantly better than the Ibanez and fender. (Both of which are nice instruments)
  6. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I wouldn't go Ibanez. I have a 5 soundgear and the string spacing is too small to slap. Well you can slap on it, but its hard. I don't know the exact string spacing on mine, but if you go Ibanez, make sure the string spacing is wider than the soundgear model's string spacing.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Out of those 2 i say the Fender. My first 5 was a DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 [a j-style 5] that i got for $160 [scam cash blow out]. Take your son to a few different stores and let him know your price range. Get ready to hear lots of playing. I'd say consider the Deans, but not sure if that's quite in the range. Enjoy. Thats all